New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switchers afraid of losing Windows apps?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Not a problem, as I just discovered!

Just keep your old PC in some broom closet somewhere and you can remotely run all the apps that you were so fond of. Not only is this faster, but also cheaper than VirtualPC

This is getting better and better

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
Pixel_Donkey

Pixel_Donkey is on a distinguished road

How did you do that, does OS X have terminal services installed or something?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98
Not a problem, as I just discovered!

Just keep your old PC in some broom closet somewhere and you can remotely run all the apps that you were so fond of. Not only is this faster, but also cheaper than VirtualPC

This is getting better and better
So what Emulator is that? You did not say.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Its not an emulator, its remote desktop. I prefer RealVNC.

You can't game through remote desktop...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
Its not an emulator, its remote desktop. I prefer RealVNC.

You can't game through remote desktop...

Opps, guess I did not read that last sentence closely.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Donkey
How did you do that, does OS X have terminal services installed or something?
Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client 1.0.3 for Mac

Brief tutorial here: http://www.utexas.edu/its/windows/re...macintosh.html

Short version: install RDC on your Mac, enable remote connections on the XP PC, make sure your user account on the XP PC has a password, check the IP address your PC has in your LAN...

Run back to your Mac, start RDC enter the PCs IP addy, user name and password, and you'll get a window allowing you to **** around on the Windows PC.

Might be a little slow for gaming, depends on your two computers and the connection between them, but good enough to work with a few programs that don't have an OSX equivalent. Also, you can even fully copy and paste between the two computers.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98
Might be a little slow for gaming
Does it even work at all with Direct3D? Try it...
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

The only problem with this is you need XP Professional, I have Home. Unless you have found a way to do this with XP Home then not many people are going to find this overly useful.

QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

Quote:
Might be a little slow for gaming, depends on your two computers and the connection between them, but good enough to work with a few programs that don't have an OSX equivalent. Also, you can even fully copy and paste between the two computers.
Funny you say that while you are installing Office on a Windows PC. Office is on the Mac.

There are few programs for Windows that dont have a Mac equivalent, I dont use any I cant get on a Mac.

Gaming - I didnt move to Mac to do gaming. Thats what I have a XP desktop for.

However, I like Apple Remote desktop better then Windows version. It lets you do WAY more. Unless you have the AdminPak from Windows 2003 Server.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
Does it even work at all with Direct3D? Try it...
The remote machine is a AMD K6-II 475Mhz with 256MB RAM... neye:

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGruber
Funny you say that while you are installing Office on a Windows PC. Office is on the Mac.

There are few programs for Windows that dont have a Mac equivalent, I dont use any I cant get on a Mac.
True. But I had a few MS Publisher files I couldn't get to open here on the Mac.

Quote:
Gaming - I didnt move to Mac to do gaming. Thats what I have a XP desktop for.
Somebody asked for it, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it in first place

Quote:
However, I like Apple Remote desktop better then Windows version. It lets you do WAY more.
Probably. But it's $299 vs. free. All I need it to do is convert half a dozen flyers and business cards into a format I can use on the mini, and I probably won't ever use it again.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« themes for easy viewing | switched....again lol »