New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

*sigh* Mini Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

caveatipss

Why would Apple put a slow 5400 rpm hard drive in the Mini? Do all Mac drives spin that slowly, or is the iMac faster? That is the sort of thing that makes me notwant a Mac. It seems like sometimes, they go out of their way to use slow versipons of things. *sigh*
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

I don't know why the mini has a 5400rpm hard drive, but the iMac's is 7200rpm.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The MINI has a 5400 RPM Hard Drive because it's basically a Laptop in a small case. It uses a Laptop Hard Drive and most are 5400 or even slower. There are some 7200 RPM Laptop drives but they are high in cost..
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

the mac mini has a 2.5" drive (same size as a laptop drive)(correct me if i'm wrong), and the imac has a 3.5" drive(same size as the powermac drives)

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

As stated above, much of the mini design is based on using laptop hardware. There are several sites that have installed 7200 rpm drives in the mini. While they seem to have worked without immediate problems all of them noted that the 7200 rpm drives generate more heat than slower drives. The long-term effect of the extra heat is unknown. Several of the sites also noted that the improvement by increasing the RAM was system wide whereas disk speed is more limited to specific operations and programs.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

The new mini's are sata i believe, which is a bit faster.

QUOTE Thanks
mcsenerd

mcsenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow
The new mini's are sata i believe, which is a bit faster.
I dare you to find a single PATA drive that can saturate a 133 IDE bus...SATA is no faster than PATA in reality.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

the mini is also the their low end machine meant mainly for general computing stuff like word processing, mail, internet. it can be used for applications like adobe CS2 but will be slower.

an external firewire hard disk could help alleviate your problems especially if you are doing music recording or video editing. this helps greatly because the drive is not being written to and read from at the same time. this way it reads the program stuff from your mini's hard disk and writes all your stuff to the external disk.

if you want something witha faster drive look into used powermacs (i think you already have thought about that though in another thread) which can be purchased for less than a new powermac or imac but about twice as much as the mini. they are still great computers

good luck!
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

5400RPM is pretty standard for 2.5in drives. The 7200RPM 2.5in drives are a pretty decent jump in price over a 5400RPM models. They have come down in price a lot lately but they are still a bit pricey.
QUOTE Thanks
Pixel_Donkey

Pixel_Donkey is on a distinguished road

Hard drives are cheap these days.

If you can, buy a internet hard drive and place it in a external case (you can get them from quite a few shops) and use it as an external hard drive
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Donkey
Hard drives are cheap these days.

If you can, buy a internet hard drive and place it in a external case (you can get them from quite a few shops) and use it as an external hard drive

You can find large 3.5in hard drives cheap, but a 60GB 7200RPM 2.5in drive is going to be over $100. I wouldn't want an external hard drive for my laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

*sigh*
ANOTHER thread complaining about "poor" quality parts that Apple uses.

Nevermind that the Mini is the lowest of the low on the Mac totem pole.
I would suggest trying one out and seeing how it actually performs for your desired task at hand before criticizing the components within.
And if you are a "power" user, then a Mini is not the right Mac for you anyway and you shouldn't buy it, so why bother waxing philosophic about what parts are used in it anyway?

My brother has one and it does exactly what he needs it to do, and does that well.
I have a PowerBook because I use the Adobe creative suite on a daily basis.

Just get the system that works best for your needs and don't worry about the system that doesn't.

:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

Well, the thing is that I cannot AFFORD a high end Mac. But I COULD get a POC with a 7500 rpm hard drive for $1,400, the price of the highest iMac. Since this is a forum for people thinking of buying Macs, I felt that my question/complaint was entirely appropriate. I want to know why the Mini's drive is slower than a comparably-priced PC, ok?
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Fair enough. Unfortunately price comparisons are not of any use in this scenario.

Macs are not Windows machines.

Windows machines are not Macs.

For equivalent hardware you will generally spend more money on your Mac than you would in a Windows machine. You can argue engineering, software, support, what have you. It really does not change the fact that in most circumstances, based on hardware alone, Macs are more expensive.

So the mini, which really has no equivalent in the PC world, has a notebook hard drive. In order to keep costs lower and profit margins up Apple cut a couple corners. Either accept it or don't.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipss
I want to know why the Mini's drive is slower than a comparably-priced PC, ok?

Because there are no common PC desktops that are so small that they require the use of a 2.5in HD. You just can't compare.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini: The Big Picture | Gotta love the PowerBook »