New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OSX doesn't self-destruct like over time Windows, I'd hope?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

As every Windows user knows, the OS will self-destruct over time, no matter how careful one is in maintaining it. Uninstalling software, getting a different printer, updating your CD burning software etc, and eventually, Windows will become a slow, crawling mess; even if you tried to take of it by not installing suspicious crap, defragmenting the harddrive and I guess installing antivirus and anti-spyware software and what not, which often actually contribute to the problems rather than preventing them.

So, can I expect to re-install OSX every 6 to 12 months just to keep it zippy and usable or is that less of a concern on the Mac platform?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I don't have the problem with OS X or XP. It all really depends on the user.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
I don't have the problem with OS X or XP. It all really depends on the user.
Right, that's what I thought, too. Sooo proud.
Depending on the user, XP might take longer to become a bloated mass, 18 months vs 4 weeks, but it will get there.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

If you have those problems with Windows, then I wouldn't be surprised if you have them with OS X. While it might not be as common for people to just re-install to get rid of a problem they caused with OS X, it does happen from time to time.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

May I refer you to this thread That's It, I've Had it! as an example?

I've been using Windows since you had to install 3.1 on top of DOS5.0, I seriously know what I'm doing (so much that I just turned down a job offer doing tech support for IBM), and it will STILL crap out on you eventually. And that's what I'm asking: will OSX do the same, or not?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98
May I refer you to this thread That's It, I've Had it! as an example?
One person had a problem with Windows so that means everybody has to have the exact same problem?

Do a search of this forum and you can find a lot of problems people have had with OS X, it doesn't mean they are all the norm.

If you can't seem to get Window to work for you, then don't use it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Quote:
One person had a problem with Windows.
I don't care who you are, that's pretty funny right there :p
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
As every Windows user knows, the OS will self-destruct over time, no matter how careful one is in maintaining it.
Little story, my daughters boyfriend bought a new alienware laptop fully loaded. A couple of months ago he came over and was showing me how fast and how nice it was. I must admit it was real fast and killed my 1.50 GHz PB. He brought it over last weekend, guess what?? My PB was as fast and still didn't hesitate doing anything I asked it to do. Between all the spyware programs , ZA firewall and the rest of the crap, my PB was as fast.. Doing a speed test he was faster with more under the hood, but from going site to site or opening up programs the PB held it's own and at some things even faster. I do think a PC over time slows down for whatever reason. Also this person is computer smart and builds all of his desktops..
QUOTE Thanks
Jabjabs

Jabjabs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB

*whisper* I think he mean't 1 billion people *whisper*

Mac Life - Apple Mac computers news, forums and more...

http://www.finiteloops.com
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Deferring on the question of whether you need to reinstall windows periodically..

With OS X you do not need to reinstall periodically to keep up speed. You might consider trolling through your library folder to clean out old stuff, but the remnants there do not adersely effect speed.
QUOTE Thanks
hollerz.mac

hollerz.mac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display

I did have the same problem with windows, formatted and reinstalled every few months just to keep it clean and fast.

But I've had Tiger installed on my G5 since the day it came out, and its still as fast as ever!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Are you saying that if you install Windows on a system, then let it sit for 4 years with no user interaction, then it'll no longer function after 4 years?
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Quote:
Are you saying that if you install Windows on a system, then let it sit for 4 years with no user interaction, then it'll no longer function after 4 years?
No, that wasn't what I'm saying, but come to think of it, it wouldn't surprise me one bit either, as long as the system is connected to the net and downloads all OS and software updates automatically.

But what I did in fact say was that:

Quote:
Uninstalling software, getting a different printer, updating your CD burning software etc, and eventually, Windows will become a slow, crawling mess; even if you tried to take of it by not installing suspicious crap, defragmenting the harddrive and I guess installing antivirus and anti-spyware software and what not,
...so don't try to get cute with me.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98
No
So then it depends on what the user did. For your situation, the things you did lead to the problems that you had. I am not saying you didn't have any problems, but you can't assume the everybody had the exact same problems because not everybody does the exact same things you do with their system.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

I think it probably is fair to say Windows based machines tend to to go to pot over time more than Mac OS X does. Mac OS X in my experience has always been a fair bit less intensive on the maintenance and pruning that I have always found somewhat necessary on Windows machines. And I have dealt with many many Windows systems and Macs in my time.

This not to say that there aren't Windows installs that are functioning fine years after they were intially installed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just got my new, first mac | Convince Me... »