New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

So is this the section where we stumble in and say hello?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kal151

I've had my 14" iBook G4 for about 1.5 years now. I had purchased a new windoze laptop (my first experience with XP :radioacti ) to replace an aging desktop. Within a week it was unusable due to ad-ware/virus. I had to format and start over....on a one week old machine. :bomb: I installed all the usual security stuff (updates/Ad-Aware/Norton) on the new install. It lasted about a month before Norton was telling me there were virus' on it that it could not remove. I backed-up my data, formated and listed it on ebay. :biohazard

My goal with that machine was to have a dual-boot setup with XP and whatever Linux flavor I was using at the time. Going back a couple years prior, I had a laptop running Mandrake that I used as my primary machine. It worked for the most part but still had some hardware issues (win-modem/no specific video module for the card) and of course lacked the ability to play most .mov and .wmv files. Web surfing was not the strong point of that machine. I considered buying a laptop with a pre-configured Linux distro but they were all pretty expensive.

I had never really considered a Mac. That is until I started reading about Nextstep and OS X. Looking back I can't for the life of me figure out why I bought that XP laptop instead of a Mac. OS X is by far the best UNIX distro I have ever seen (for my needs anyway). I am so glad I finally stepped up and bought one. This thing is just incredible! Everything just works, amazing. Six hours out of a laptop battery? Are you kidding me? Awesome simply awesome. :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

well, welcome to the forums! i hope we can help you with anythign you need!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Welcome to the fourms. Enjoy the mac experience, and ask any questions you might have of us.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

*stumbles in and says "Hello!", too.

Tomorrow my Mac will arrive, yay!
QUOTE Thanks
Steve1

""...and ask any questions you might have of us."

Umm. What's the meaning of life? Who wants to give me $100,000.00? Why is Windows such rubbish? Why is the iPodVideo so expensive? :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
Jabjabs

Jabjabs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB

Quote:
OS X is by far the best UNIX distro I have ever seen
Unix distro... UNIX DISTRO! It ain't no unux distro!

j/k, Welcome, if you have any questions or need any help just ask.

Quote:
Umm. What's the meaning of life? Who wants to give me $100,000.00? Why is Windows such rubbish? Why is the iPodVideo so expensive?
The meaning of life is Expensive iPod Videos
Wheel of Fortune want to give you $100,000
Windows is rubbish because Mentok wills it so!
iPod Video is costly because it is the meaning of life.

I hope that helped you out.

Mac Life - Apple Mac computers news, forums and more...

http://www.finiteloops.com
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

hello!

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Stumbles in.... Hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1
""...and ask any questions you might have of us."

Umm. What's the meaning of life? Who wants to give me $100,000.00? Why is Windows such rubbish? Why is the iPodVideo so expensive? :headphone

not me (Would be willing to loan you 100K VND though)

design by committee

because people will pay that much.
QUOTE Thanks
kal151

Hello back to everybody. Kar98 you are going to love it.

Jabjabs I guess I should have typed *nix distro or BSD perhaps. LOL
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mighty Mouse Prooblem | Help! »