New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

First mac, looking for advice on cheap 2nd hand

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

The longer you wait, the lower the prices will go as new macs start arriving.

I'm psyched to find another Mac/Metal person. I just saw your location...a true IM fan indeed! Personally, I am a MAJOR Judas Priest fan, my favorite (favourite in 'brit' ) band. I saw them on the Retribution 2005 tour. Sadly, I missed Ozzfest 2004 with Priest and this past year with IM. My friends got to see a tour with Mötorhead, Iron Maiden, and Dio (Ronnie James Dio is the most awesome 68+ year old ever) a few years ago. I would love to see a tour with Judas Priest (newly reunited with Rob Halford), Iron Maiden (I love that Bruce ****inson is back), and Dio (who can not like Dio???!). Have you heard Bruce ****inson's new solo album, 'Tyranny of Souls'? I have to say it is a lot better than IM's Dance of Death (one of the weakest IM albums IMHO).

So anyway, relating to Mac's....umm well, macs rule!?

Nathan Sweeney

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
Come and help save lives by Folding
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

Yeah I've heard Tyranny Of Souls, its an awesome album. Need to get some more Bruce ****inson albums. I quite liked Dance Of Death, although BNW was my favourite. The weakest were the Blaze Bailey ones. I like all metal (about 70% of the music on my iPod is metal- 3 Inches Of Blood, Trivium, Slayer, Pantera, Motorhead, Manowar, Fear Factory, DragonForce etc).

Anyway, I'm gonna keep an eye on what Macs go for what prices on eBay, see what I like while I look for a job.

Just saw a VERY nice 17" widescreen iMac G4 1GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Superdrive, iSight and OSX 10.4.5 for £525 Buy It Now on eBay. Hopefully should be £250-300ish in 4-6 months?

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks
claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

3 Inches of Blood - now this is just crazy! Someone else who has actually heard them. Have you been to any shows? Cam Pipes is awesome, they sound great live (saw them open for Metal Church in Baltimore about 2 years ago). I need to get an iPod, I still don't have one.

Yes, I should think that the G4 and G5 macs will be getting cheaper as the rest of the Mac line switches to intel in the next few months. No way to really tell what they will be going for though...

Nathan Sweeney

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
Come and help save lives by Folding
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

I haven't seen 3IOB (missed out on the Roadrunner Road Rage tour). Seen Maiden 2 times (Brave New World in 2000 and Dance Of Death in 2003).

I really wanted to go to the Unholy Alliance tour 2006 (starting on 06/06/06) with Slayer, Lamb Of God, Mastodon, Children Of Bodom and Thine Eyes Bleed- awesome lineup, but unfortunately it's only in the US (and I am in the UK).

I'm still quite tempted just to pick up a G3 iMac (£50-60 for a 233MHz) in the next few weeks, but if its going to be too underpowered even for music and web browsing, I'm not sure if it's really worth it (especially by adding more RAM/HDD) and even then OSX might not run smoothly.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The 233 iMacs are the very first iMacs. They are not that fast with OSX and a lot of times need a firmware upgrade to even install OSX. If you are broke and want to get an iMac to save $$$ try for at least a 350 Mhz iMac with the Slot load CD or DVD drive. It's a better machine and will work a bit better with OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_tough_to_die
I would recommend an iMac G4 for your needs. They can be had for fair prices (I've seen them going for as low as $325 US), and are great machines. I personally think that it'll be a much better investment than an iMac G3.
Stupid question probably: most of the machines I see for sale on ebay or craigslist seem to have fairly small harddrives. Can I upgrade those with regular IDE harddrives in the same way as with Wintel PCs?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98
Stupid question probably: most of the machines I see for sale on ebay or craigslist seem to have fairly small harddrives. Can I upgrade those with regular IDE harddrives in the same way as with Wintel PCs?
Yes and no. The older G3 and even the early G4's will take 128GB Max without a PCI HDD Controler card. 128GB is plenty for most uses, but just a warning, on say the iMacs that have no PCI slots, you are stuck with 128Gigs Max. Again, plenty of room but wanted to be sure you knew that.

Otherwise they take standard PC hard drives, just be sure what size drive like 3.5" or 2.5" is in the Mac you want to upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Yes and no. The older G3 and even the early G4's will take 128GB Max without a PCI HDD Controler card. 128GB is plenty for most uses, but just a warning, on say the iMacs that have no PCI slots, you are stuck with 128Gigs Max. Again, plenty of room but wanted to be sure you knew that.

Otherwise they take standard PC hard drives, just be sure what size drive like 3.5" or 2.5" is in the Mac you want to upgrade.
Glad to hear that, and 128GB is still plenty for me. The 80GB that crashed on me last Sunday was only half full anyway, after 5 years of use

Thanks for replying, and I'll probably be back with more stupid questions: My (hopefully 1.5Ghz) G4 Mac Mini will be delivered tomorrow...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98
Glad to hear that, and 128GB is still plenty for me. The 80GB that crashed on me last Sunday was only half full anyway, after 5 years of use

Thanks for replying, and I'll probably be back with more stupid questions: My (hopefully 1.5Ghz) G4 Mac Mini will be delivered tomorrow...

Very cool.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Waah, bummer. I thought for sure I'd be getting one of the stealth-upgraded ones. Guess not, oh well
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

I decided I couldn't wait, and decided to get an iMac G3.

Somebody was selling it for £10- A Grape iMac G3 (DV I think) 400MHz, 64MB RAM, 10GB HDD, slot load DVD drive, 2 firewire ports, original keyboard and round mouse. It's running OS 9.0.3.

Plan to upgrade the RAM, HDD and install OS X Panther on it and enjoy

QUOTE Thanks
lil

Well for £10, you got a bargain so I cannot argue with that :flower:

Considering you didn't pay anything really for it, it was worthwhile doing so! Plus uber cool colour :flower:

I may get get my folks an iMac G3 or eMac for when they move house, something nice and easy for them to get online with and type letters etc.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Im not a techie, but I always wondered... | Memory for new iBook Power PC G4 12" »