New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

First mac, looking for advice on cheap 2nd hand

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lil

Blue and white G3s are all well and good... but no AGP for better graphics card, slower bus speed (66MHz), buggy IDE controllers in some of them, not as expandable processor wise and so forth. But they aren't all bad by any means, but the G4 was a huge leap forward from the G3; more than the number change and speeds would indicate.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

yea i changed my post about that, i still want a b&w for myself though for no real reason other than i like the looks
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
lil

They're definitely are striking! I remember some freelance work I did for Future Publishing a few years back (around 99/00) and they had brand new B&W G3s then; they looked awesome.

I don't like the bondi blue as much now; but it is still OK compared to most.

That G4 you point out is the same as the one I picked up in excellent condition but in the one I got it had a 40GB hard disk and a few other minor differences, got it for £135—shows those who have patience!

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The B&W is a nice looking machine to be sure. It's a bit slow though and like Lil pointed out, you can not upgrade it anywhere near as far as a Graphite G4.

I bought a B&W for the same reason, just to have one and mess with it. If anyone gets a B&W be SURE to get one with a Rev 2 motherboard. It will save you lots of headaches with the Hard Drive controler.

Lil, thanks for posting the other advantages of the Digital Audio. I was in a hurry left all that info out. It makes upgrading a lot easier.
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

I would recommend an iMac G4 for your needs. They can be had for fair prices (I've seen them going for as low as $325 US), and are great machines. I personally think that it'll be a much better investment than an iMac G3.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

*Agreed.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_tough_to_die
I would recommend an iMac G4 for your needs. They can be had for fair prices (I've seen them going for as low as $325 US), and are great machines. I personally think that it'll be a much better investment than an iMac G3.
As much as I would love a G4 iMac, they have been recently going for £350-£450 (I'm in the UK) for a 15", 700MHz with 512mb/40GB. It does have a screen, but the actual machines aren't that upgradable.

I'm pretty sure that a G4 would be best for me, because a 400MHz one with basic 128mb ram and 20GB hdd would be fine (with an old crt temporarily) for when I first get it and just get to grips with OSX. Then I can upgrade as I earn more money. TAlso, there don't seem to be many digital audio ones, just graphites (and quicksilvers/mirror drive doors for £500+).

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Here is a nice Digital Audio. Low Buy It Now price for it's Specs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-PowerMac-G...QQcmdZViewItem
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

Hmm, that does look good.
Shame I don't have a job yet, need to get some money in.

Also, I am in the UK, and I'm not sure whether they'd ship from the US (and it would probably cost a lot).

I'm not really in a position to buy at the moment (just gathering advice), so prices may fall in the next few months.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
QUOTE Thanks
claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

An iMac G4 or PowerMac G4 would be even better. You could easily upgrade the G4 to be a speedy machine for not too much money. You could also go for a mini, but I personally don't like the first revisions of hardware and even then would only consider the Core Duo. Maybe a used PPC G4 mini?

Anyway, I'm sure you will have a blast when you get your Mac. Its a "Brave New World" and us mac people are all "Blood Brothers"

And if the above sentence didn't make sense, I misinterpreted your user name :mac:

Nathan Sweeney

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
Come and help save lives by Folding
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

Yeah, a PowerMac G4 looks to be the best, because minis can't be upgraded much as they use laptop components (HDD/Optical drive).

My laptop seems to be running slower every day (time for a reformat very soon- again!) and I can't wait to get a Mac.

(What you said did make sense, Iron Maiden are my favourite band. Going to see them 12 Dec!)

QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

ive used the g4 emac 1.2 ghz with 256 mb of ram they are pretty fast and are not too expencive
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

Good suggestion, the eMac looks quite attractive now, considering the 'whole package'- £250 for a 750MHz G4, 40GB HDD, 256mb RAM, CD-ROM, OS 10.3 and a 17" screen.

I should be able to upgrade the HDD to 200GB, RAM to 1GB and optical drive to a DVDRW/Superdrive and it should be quite good? I suppose the GPU/CPU isn't upgradable though.

Hmm, seems like I have an alternative to the PowerMac G4 now.

QUOTE Thanks
lil

The eMac isn't a bad option at all; I used to use one when I worked at an AppleCentre and it was a pretty nice Mac all considered; that and the CRT was fairly decent at 1280x960.

The hard disk and optical drive are a big job to change though, my only warning really; since you will have the CRT to deal with and you have to be ever ever so careful, did I say be careful? You really have to be careful working next to the CRT -- I cannot say this enough! Those things carry very high voltages even when powered off. You may already know this though!

However, indeed -- the eMac is a good machine; and the Mac I am seriously considering getting my parents.

If you can wait though, it may pay off to get the 1.42GHz eMac; as it has a 64MB Radeon 9600 (not too miserable, but not amazing), most have superdrives and a decent sized hard disk in the first place. At least then you would have the top end eMac... Depends how long you wish to wait.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

Yeah, I need to actually FIND a job and start saving (which would be at least 4 months). At least then I'd be able to get a better spec model.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Im not a techie, but I always wondered... | Memory for new iBook Power PC G4 12" »