New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

turn off after every use?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

I shut down my PC every night before going to bed. Do any of you with macs do this, or is it different?
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Except for a recent lockup I have not shutdown my Power book for a month or two. Overall I rarely shut down my PB, the exceptions being when I am travelling.

My Mac mini's I leave running as well, but I use those as servers and as a media center, so it does not exactly make sense to shut them down.

There is no harm in shutting down your Mac, but little reason to either. I would just put it to sleep instead.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I never shut down. My friends with Powerbook and iBook never either. Just sleep it -- this means no wasted boot up time next use :alien:
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Never shut down or put to sleep my powermac quad, and I never shut down my powebook I just let that sleep..

Laptops sleep... desktops I leave on..

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

i never shut mine down either, only time i turn mine off is if i move it, travel. or go on deployment. other then that, never have to.

no sense cause its always being used
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i only shutdown when i need to restart after an update. there is no real reason to shut down if you use your computer on a regular basis. if it is like 3 days between uses then yea, shut it down to save on your electricity bill, or if it is that long, let your computer fold for the rest of the time!
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of

I love it how me and coch_z always find a way to mention folding in threads that have nothing to do with it.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
XFce

I read somewhere on the net about Core duos having some kind of special, sleep mode feature, that enables the system to stay awake for weeks -- sometimes even months.
I don’t know if that is true because people always say that Peceee’s should be turned off when they are not being used... not sure about Macs so I stay on the safe side and turn the computer off once a week.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

I have a new Intel iMac, and I shut it down right before I sleep, because it's in my room, and the blinking white light annoys the **** outta me. Plus, it'll stop any possible hackers from getting into my computer without me noticing. Plus, I'd rather sleep without the hard drive making funky noises every two seconds.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFce
I read somewhere on the net about Core duos having some kind of special, sleep mode feature, that enables the system to stay awake for weeks -- sometimes even months.
I don’t know if that is true because people always say that Peceee’s should be turned off when they are not being used... not sure about Macs so I stay on the safe side and turn the computer off once a week.
All processors can be left on for as long as you want them to be left on as long as heat is not an issue.. they don't get "tired" if you leave them on to long.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

The only reason I turn my PowerBook off is because it just burns (litteraly) to the touch. Except since I've been folding, I haven't rebooted period (and I still can't complete a **** work unit!).

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i turn my ibook off everyday. i dont like to leave it sitting out in my barrack room while i am at school. when i am at home, i only leave it on if i dont take it to the ship and i am downloading a large file.

QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

I think I read once that unix systems are meant to left running all the time (and since OSX is unix based...). I leave my powerbook in sleepmode when it's not in use. If (well more like when really :headphone ) I get an iMac to replace my PC tower, I will also leave that in sleepmode when it's not in use. I do switch off my pc tower at night though, but mainly because it consumes so much power (the new iMacs consume a LOT less when running, and in sleep mode they will consume even less). I think this is how computers should work, always on and ready when you need them but not using lots of power in the process!
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Unix systems (including OS X) have cron jobs that run periodically to do maintenance on your system. If it is asleep or off it obviously can not do them, but in general this is not a terribly big deal. The scripts should be allowed to run or triggered manually (with MainMenu, Onyx, or such) every once in a while. Bi-monthly is generally enough to keep the system healthy. You could probably get away with once or twice a year without issues for that matter, but your log files might get a bit big.
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

Alright. Thanks a lot. I think when I get an iMac I'll just put it to sleep instead of shutting it off.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Afraid to make the switch | Question about Outlook 2001 for Mac »