New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hidden or password protected folders?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ggreer58

ggreer58 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz

I want to create a folder within my Documents that is password protected or hidden, basically just not viewable to anyone else besides me without some type of authentication. I know in Windows this can be done by creating hidden folders, how do I do something like this in OSX?

I am running 10.4.5
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Using Disk Utility, you can make an encrypted disk image. Open Disk Utility, go under File to New, then slide over to Blank Disk Image. The popup lets you encrypt it.
QUOTE Thanks
ggreer58

ggreer58 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz

The only thing I was able to create through disk utility was a .dmg file. It will not let me treat this file like a folder and place documents into it.

Am I doing something wrong? I just need some way to encrypt a folder
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

If you open the .dmg file it will place a "drive" on your desktop and you can drag and drop / save files in there, once you eject it you will have to open the .dmg file to get that drive back.. this will be encrypted.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

using the search feature that is included in this forum, i did a search for password protect. it yielded these results. take a look at a couple of them.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sea...earchid=421712

QUOTE Thanks
notoriousformul

ah, I wondering the same.. i wanted an encrypted Folder/drive on my new PB.. thanks for the great tip guys :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

that is what I did, I have a disk image called documents in my documents folder.. and it is the only thing in there.. when I want to save something I mount the image then save it in there. this insures that It can not be viewed by somebody who I do not want to have permission to view my documents. Remember don't save your code in your keychain or else anybody can access the image as long as they have access to your computer.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfreap24
using the search feature that is included in this forum, i did a search for password protect. it yielded these results. take a look at a couple of them.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sea...earchid=421712
is this a joke?
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallooza
is this a joke?
ok so i dont know how to copy search results to a thread, but if you do a search for password protect you will get the same results.

QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

If all you want is to restrict access then you could set permission to the folder and all children to 600 (read and write for the owner, no access to groups and other).

An encrypted disk is the better option, but of course you need to mount it every time you need it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« setting up an ftp | call me crazy... »