New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do I reset admin password??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rhythmaker

rhythmaker is on a distinguished road

I just bought a macbook pro 15" refurbished laptop and realized that I have no idea what the admin password is. I checked with Apple instructions and still can't reset the admin login password. What do I need to do to reset this password and set it to one that I create so I can utilize all the features my mac offers? I upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 from Leopard 10.5.5 and that didn't give me any way to reset the admin password or user password. HELP!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Actually it did, but you can be forgiven for not noticing -- it doesn't exactly call attention to itself!

Here's what to do:

1. Restart the computer with the Snow Leopard DVD in the drive, and holding the option key down on startup select it as the boot drive (just as though you were going to reinstall Snow Leopard, but you're not going to)

2. When it gets to the part about languages, pick English. Then look to the menubar and you'll see a menu that offers choices. You should pick "reset password" and the rest should be obvious from there.

3. You should restart the machine and eject the disc by holding down the trackpad or mouse if you're using one (left button) and then proceed as normal. You will probably need to go into the Keychain Utility and delete the old keychain as well for good measure.
QUOTE Thanks
rhythmaker

Thanks chas_m:
Believe it or not I tried this and it comes up and asks me for the password to continue. I might have made the mistake of setting my name for the name "user" with the mobileme set key in the admin menu. This is new to me even though I have been using my old macbook pro 15" 2006 laptop until this new one. I'm not able to do much without the mystery password. I'm really stuck!! I can't even re-install from the Snow Leopard disk without password permission. Please advise.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

When you booted from the Snow Leopard DVD and did what Chas said it asked right there for the password booted from the DVD and clicking on Reset Password?
QUOTE Thanks
rhythmaker

dtravis7 thanks for your reply. It wouldn't let me get to password reset without wanting the password. I upgraded this laptop with the Snow Leopard disk and I believe it migrated the keychain login info from the original folder from Leopard 10.5.5 that was on this mac when I got it. I wonder if I delete the folder "keychains" would that allow me to reset everything?? Advise...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Always best to erase a hard drive on a used machine and then install a fresh operating system using the Snow Leopard DVD. then you set your own password, Networking etc. You can make a clone to an external drive first if there is anything you wish to save.

Some larger applications such as Office and Adobe do not Migrate well and usually require re-activation.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
rhythmaker

Thanks for the reply harryb2448. It always scares me to wipe a hard drive. I fear the unknown of what happens if the new Snow Leopard doesn't load and it is the 10.6.3 version. I guess I will have to reload all the upgrades again, but I don't care about that as much as fearing the unknown. Do I use the utilities on my mac to format and wipe this HDD? Advise steps please...
QUOTE Thanks
rhythmaker

This is getting ridiculous!! When I try to erase or partition the main drive it is grayed out and won't let me. Whoever had this laptop before put in their password for the admin privileges and now it's my problem. I can't do anything from the Snow Leopard disk either without password permission. I'm going in circles and am about to toss this HDD and get another one that's clean. I blew all my $$$ on this laptop and now need to spend more on a new disk??? I'm frustrated and ready for a large bourbon 5 finger shot. HELP!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
rhythmaker

I'm not being sarcastic, but is this site mostly European or a site based in the USA? My last post showed as in GMT time and I'm on the East coast of the US. Just asking!! It's 11:00 PM my time April 30. Am I looking for replies too early in the morning in GMT?? I do appreciate your expertise and replies to my hysteria. Thanks to y'all.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Get over the hysteria and do an erase and clean install. That is the only way to get on top of this thing. You will enter your own password, set up your own time region etc. Read this:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3910?viewlocale=en_US

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
rhythmaker

Hey harryb2448:
I got to thank you for the link, but I must say that no one ever caught the one trick that made all the other instructions work. The trick was to HOLD THE "C" KEY DOWN through the entire boot process. Once that was done everything came together and I was indeed able to wipe the drive and petition it and clean load the OS. Thanks for all your help and encouragement. BTW the bourbon helped too.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Um, well, chas_m did say that in post #2, although he didn't emphasize to hold it down throughout ( the Option key gives you the option to pick a boot drive, the "C" key forces the CD boot). As for time setting, go to your control panel and select your timezone. The site defaults to GMT.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I agree with MacInWin, to get rid of Confusion boot with the Option key down and select the OSX DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
rhythmaker

Thanks to you all!! I learned something new for me but 'obviously' old news to y'all. Thanks for your kind patience during my tutoring experiences here. I will try to be a mentor to anyone that I might be able to help in this forum in the future as you were to me. Blessings!!
BTW 'macinwin' did I detect a slight bit of irritation with my misunderstanding chas_m... No one is perfect!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I can't speak for macinwin but no irritation here ... I probably should have said "and hold" when describing the action. Glad you figured it out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unibox email | Calendar Duplicates »