New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac Mini slower that Mac latops?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DamonIRB

DamonIRB is on a distinguished road

I'm a voice over artist and work with a LOT of audio files. Occasionally, these are very large audio files (10+ GB). I'm working on a Win7 PC right now and it's getting on my nerves.

I believe a Mac Mini would fit my needs, but I'm a bit concerned/confused by a review I read on MacWorld - "The Mac mini won’t set any speed records—it's among the slowest Macs in Apple's lineup."

From what I can see, the Mac Mini has the same processor as a MacBook Pro and can be configured to have more memory.

Mac Mini - 2.5GHz dual-core Core i5 CPU, 4 GB of memory (upgradable to 16 GB)

Mac Book Pro - 2.5GHz dual-core Core i5 CPU, 4 GB of memory (upgradable to 8 GB)

I can get the Mini with the 2.3GHz quad-core Core i7 processor for a few more bucks and still get the 16 GB of memory. The same site says the Mac Book Pro with the Core i7 processor and 8 GB of memory "combine to produce impressive performance.

Am I missing something? How would the Mini, with the same processor and more memory be among the slowest Mac's available? Or are they only saying that a Mini with the basic config would be slower than other Mac's?

Thanks in advance,

D
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Am I missing something? How would the Mini, with the same processor and more memory be among the slowest Mac's available? Or are they only saying that a Mini with the basic config would be slower than other Mac's?
Yes, that's what they base their results on. Be sure during your evaluation of both the Mini and MacBook Pro that you consider what graphics capability the machines have. There's a very large difference in speed (benchmark) between a Mini with integrated graphics and a MacBook Pro with discrete graphics. A MacBook Pro which has discrete graphics is much more expensive though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« changing default /Users dir when adding an SSD | Links From Emails Not Working »