New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

File Sharing Between Users

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rhayn

rhayn is on a distinguished road

I am still relatively new to Mac and I have run into a stumbling block. My Mac has two accounts on it. I have my picture folder shared in "Sharing" in System Preferences to both users with read/write access. Folders that have been added once the share was establish are visible as are the list of file in finder, but when the user they are shared to attempts to open them, they get an error message that says. "you do not have permission to open the document....".

What am I doing wrong with the file share? Again, existing (older) folders I am able to open the images when I am logged into the same account that is giving me problems with the new folder/files.

Thanks in advance for any help!
QUOTE Thanks
leadfoot

leadfoot is on a distinguished road

Two accounts will have one as the administrator, while the other is a sub user with select usage. Most people tend to use the administrator. If the alert comes up for password this will be unlocking access. Sharing folders are normally between two computers. Under system preference click on users/groups and then you might need your password when unlock the padlock symbol. next click on your user second account and click on Allow user to admin.
hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
rhayn

Thanks. That does help. I am going to move the files I need shared between users on the same Mac to the /Users/Shared directly!
QUOTE Thanks
leadfoot

leadfoot is on a distinguished road

glad i can help get some sleep you look tired.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Apple has already detailed this:

iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users
QUOTE Thanks
rhayn

Thanks for the response chas_m. Being newer to Mac, OS X, and iPhoto this is helpful. I haven't gotten to deep into sharing my iPhoto library, but did run into this issue. I will keep this information in mind as I decide if I am going to use iPhoto or some other solution (although I am leaning towards iPhoto).

When I did import, I intentionally did not copy my photos into iPhoto, but has them be referenced by the application. I'm not ready to make this leap with over 10 years of digital pictures.

The questions that I had was along the folders/files themselves and where to store them so they were fully accessible to both users on one Mac. I think I have figured this out by using the /Users/Shared folder for this content.

On a side note, I found your essay for switchers pretty early on when I made the switch this year. I found it very helpful and have used it as a guide thus far. I did cave and put Parallels/Win7 on pretty quickly. I am an old school Quicken user and been able to find an alternative that does the job for me. :-P

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

For people who are very comfortable with Quicken, QuickBooks or other programs that genuine have no direct Mac equivalent, you have my blessing to use Windows.

(puts on pointy hat, makes sign of OS X across chest)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« photoshop cc problem | flash drive »