New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New mac user

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

applepissue

applepissue is an unknown at this point

Yes I did it!!
I got my first Mac, well not really because my older brother did have an Apple IIe back in the day.
I suppose that’s not a Mac anyway.

Anyhow I got an Intel imac, I guess the Ads. Sucked me in but in my course we mostly use Macs so that is another reason I got a Mac.

My first impression of Macs is they are bloody confusing, I got no idea, it took me 10 minutes to figure out how to make a folder on my desktop because for some reason the option was grey out, I don’t know what I did but I done it in the end, wish i could just right click new folder, also its weird how the programs close but don’t close if you know what I mean.
I got no idea if a program is open unless i look at the top L/H corner.

Is there I way I can use the right click button the same as windows?? Because im not a keyboard shortcut man and I would prefer to use one hand for simple tasks.

I guess you guys are laughing at my problems, the other guys in my class laugh at me when I press something in the dock by mistake or the program disappears because I moved my mouse somewhere wrong and I trip out " where has my program gone" LOL

I am getting used to it slowly and the more I use it the more I like it, one thing I must say it looks allot more graphically polished the Windows. (not that I care about that, I have my XP PC set to the old grey 2000 style and turn of all the effects to make it run .1 of a second faster :spook: )

So i am really impressed with the imac as far as all in one units goes.
Who knows i may become to love the Mac OSX, but i not ready to give windows the boot yet.

I think if you take the best things from windows and the best things from Mac OSX, i think that would be some sort of OS.

But at the moment i am going crazy, no right click kills me, guess i have to learn the keyboard. Its like using Mac OSX uses a differant part of my brain or something.

Go back and forth is doing my head in!!

Thanks for listening to my 2 cents i sure its only going to get better
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

right click is easy as you have a mighty mouse.
System Prefs > Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse
Then set the mighty mouse to be a 2 click mouse

As for the open programs look at your dock, if they have a little triangle below them then it means that they are open

Hope these help

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
applepissue

Thanks for that, i wondered what the right mouse button does.
Does that mean i can, say right click and make a new folder or right click and veiw profiles of something?

I guess im just not used to it.
I only had it for 5 days so i will get it in the end.
QUOTE Thanks
Jabjabs

Jabjabs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB

Yes you can do those functions plus you can also change your background settings and make new polders to burn off onto a disc.
QUOTE Thanks
init6

You can create new folders on both the desktop and other folders/subfolders by simply press Shift-Cmd-N. Command is the "Apple" key.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

welcome to our world, once you get used to it you will love it!

remember that keyboard shortcuts are the greatest thing ever....i dont plan on using my mouse for the next 20 minutes or so while browsing this forum....
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
bfx

I'm a soon to be Mac user in the form a MacMini to be used for internet access AND as a test bed for swiching to primarily Macs from Windows (by converting them into more Linux boxes).

I can see the advantages to both hot keys and multiple mouse buttons.

I'm with applepissue on the right click thing for several reasons -

1 - I have limited mobility in my left arm

2 - I went from one of the first 250 Apple ][ integer basic systems made (think $80 - $120 for a 12 Kb, not 12 Mb, memory upgrade) to generations of Amigas so I've been mousing for a long time.

3 - Because of that I find mousing very fast compared to the contortions needed for hot key combos in just about any OS.

4 - my main app - a photo realistic 3D animation program - makes extensive use of two - preferably three - clickable buttons plus a scroll wheel on a PC. You don't want to even think about the sometimes 5 key combos needed in the Mac version.

Most likely I'll stay with a Windows box for that app along with a couple more for distributed network rendering.

And a couple of Linux boxes for Linux-only apps.

But I'm looking forward to the partial transiton to Mac.

bfx
QUOTE Thanks
tiger2

tiger2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7

ive got a question about programs being open (in the dock) but not on the screen. how the **** do i maximise them again from the dock ?

as i've been quitting the program from the dock and restarting it
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger2
ive got a question about programs being open (in the dock) but not on the screen. how the **** do i maximise them again from the dock ?

as i've been quitting the program from the dock and restarting it
You just click on the icon in the dock for the open program. I just did it here to be sure.
QUOTE Thanks
applepissue

eeerrr, im not into this keyboard shortcuts for everything and have to go to the file menu all the time, seems the long way around if you ask me.
I thought macs were supposed to be easy to use?

I think Apple and Microsoft deliberately make things totally opposite just to screw with us, like the way you resize windows the position of the close, open and minimize buttons. Stupid things like if I control c to copy something on the PC the Apple button is in a different position to the control on the PC, so imp like pressing control C on the Mac and nothing happens till I realise that I have to use the Apple key

Also I find it strange that if you close something on the Mac you only close the window and not the program I have to go to the file menu or learn another short cut I suppose, I would much rather simply click on the cross to close a program then having to use the file menu or short cut
QUOTE Thanks
BoingoBongo

I'm new to OSX too. It was a little more confusing at first, but I like it more and more. I think most of the problems I've had stem from me trying to make things more complicated because of my background with another OS...hehe...

I love how "polished" it is. I know that doesn't really affect anything, but I like having my more-than-2,000-dollar machine run like the computers in all those movies that take place in the future in stuff. It's not necessary, but it sure is nice.
QUOTE Thanks
Tiranis

applepissue: That's how stuff works on Mac. Did you expect that Mac is going to be better and still the same as Windows? Wake up, please.

I still don't get why it is that you assume that the Windows way is the right way? Maybe the Mac way is the right way? :-\

Keyboard shortcuts are the same for all programs: Command+Q to quit program, Command+H to hide program, Command+W to close current window. There's plenty of other useful shortcuts (Command+N, Command+T, etc.) and the good thing is the shortcuts are the same for every application, unlike on Windows.

And I don't get what your problem with using the menu on top is? It's much easier than having menu for each window, because you don't have to guess where to move your mouse—you just drag it up, always the same place.

Just stop looking for your old Windows in your new Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 — Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by applepissue
I think Apple and Microsoft deliberately make things totally opposite just to screw with us, like the way you resize windows the position of the close, open and minimize buttons. Stupid things like if I control c to copy something on the PC the Apple button is in a different position to the control on the PC, so imp like pressing control C on the Mac and nothing happens till I realise that I have to use the Apple key
You have to blame Microsoft. It switched the copy and paste keys to Control-C and Control V when it copied Apple's GUI. In another effort to look different, MS stuck the desktop icons on the left.
Quote:
Also I find it strange that if you close something on the Mac you only close the window and not the program I have to go to the file menu or learn another short cut I suppose, I would much rather simply click on the cross to close a program then having to use the file menu or short cut
MS does it that way, according to what is receding into myth, because the old DOS commands required the extra toolbars, and the app would quit when the window closed. MS sold the bug as a feature.

Command-Q quits any program, while Command-W simply closes the window.
QUOTE Thanks
Jabjabs

Jabjabs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB

Quote:
But at the moment i am going crazy, no right click kills me, guess i have to learn the keyboard. Its like using Mac OSX uses a differant part of my brain or something.
Yeah it does feel like that at first, don't worry you will get used to it and it will eventually become second nature, juat don't try and use expose on Windows that's all, it doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
applepissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis
applepissue: That's how stuff works on Mac. Did you expect that Mac is going to be better and still the same as Windows? Wake up, please.

I still don't get why it is that you assume that the Windows way is the right way? Maybe the Mac way is the right way? :-\

Keyboard shortcuts are the same for all programs: Command+Q to quit program, Command+H to hide program, Command+W to close current window. There's plenty of other useful shortcuts (Command+N, Command+T, etc.) and the good thing is the shortcuts are the same for every application, unlike on Windows.

And I don't get what your problem with using the menu on top is? It's much easier than having menu for each window, because you don't have to guess where to move your mouse—you just drag it up, always the same place.

Just stop looking for your old Windows in your new Mac.
I dont think think mac OSX is better and i never expected it to be the same.
I think Windows is just easier to use and i can be more lazy using windows and not have to use 2 hands all the time and think of what short cut i have to use next or have to go to the file menu all the time also.

Enough of that anyway, Windows is Windows Mac is Mac.

How ever am preety much used to Mac OSX Now and i am liking it a whole lot more

What i would like to know is if i have 3 Windows open and (one window at the front covering the others and i want to make the second or third window come to the front, how do i do that currently i drag my mouse to the bottom R/H corner show it shows evething i have open then select the window i want to come to the front. is there a better way to do this?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Black vs. White Macbook?!?!?! | Expand widows »