New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How difficult was the switch... REALLY?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

curious

For those of you that recently switched from Windows XT to Mac (not an older version of Windows, but XT)...

How difficult was the switch, really? (serious question -- not trying to be sarcastic)

Since lots of things are *different*, I'm betting that there were certain challenges, right? Some things that you found difficult, or frustrating? Any old PC habits that were hard to break?

I'm sure you recent switchers know what I'm getting at. Any comments or thoughts you can share would be appreciated.

Oh, and please don't say "Windows sucks" or anything like that. It really doesn't help me. Thanks. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

tbh the hardest thing was learning to use the mouse more!
Ive used windows right from 3.1 so used keyboard shortcuts 90% of the time so i had to learn the new ones.

The other thing that was a bit difficult was that there was no "run" command which i overcame by using Quicksilver

Lastly the only thing that bothered me was downloading apps but once you know where to look (versiontracker) i was fine no other real problems TBH

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I honestly did not have a problem switching at all.. I do however have problems when i use windows.. little keyboard short cuts i use often on mac don't work on windows, but there are no habbits that i had on windows that got in the way when i switched to mac.. the only thing i did was hit the apple button a couple times in the beginning hoping the apple menu on the top of the screen would come down.. other then that it was an easy transition.. a little over a year ago.. from windows xp pro to mac.

and keep your windows computer around like i did.. you never know when you might need it for an application you can't get for mac.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
BEEEsH

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious
For those of you that recently switched from Windows XT to Mac (not an older version of Windows, but XT)...

How difficult was the switch, really? (serious question -- not trying to be sarcastic)

Since lots of things are *different*, I'm betting that there were certain challenges, right? Some things that you found difficult, or frustrating? Any old PC habits that were hard to break?

I'm sure you recent switchers know what I'm getting at. Any comments or thoughts you can share would be appreciated.

Oh, and please don't say "Windows sucks" or anything like that. It really doesn't help me. Thanks. :-)
Honestly, when I made the switch it was relatively easy.

There are some things you'll have to relearn. For example navigating finder can be really clumsy at times, so that will be the one thing you'll have to learn.

I've noticed that since switching to OSX I use keyboard shortcuts to do stuff more often and it really cuts time. I guess you can say that this operating system while being easy to use for average users, can also be extremely efficient for advanced users.

My first impressions:

I unpacked the box, hooked everything up and turned it on. Nothing special. Now generally when I buy a PC i like to reformat it fresh. Just an old Windows/Dell habit i suppose. Anyway, I popped in the cd, and in about 3 or 4 mouse clicks, the computer was on its way to a fresh install of Tiger. During that time a friend called me to pick him up, and laughed all the way to his house. Easy as pie. Even funnier was my trying to relearn 'drag and drop.' I felt so stupid because i didn't know how to do a few things, and i would ask people and they would be like, "just click here, and drag it there" and i nearly died of laughter. It really is how computing 'should be.'

After thoughts: I've had it for nearly a year, no problems, no spam/adware and no antivirus. tis very good.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Like I said in your other thread, the only things that took even a little effort was the clickers for the window on the Left side of the Window instead of the Right and using the ALT(APPLE) key to do CTRL+S,C,X, ETC. It was not hard at all to get used to either of them, but those are the only things I can think of that took a little effort at first. I have used Windows since 3.1 and every version since.

Funny thing is now when I use my XP systems, I go for the Alt key and try to click on the Left hand side to close or minimize a window!!! hhahahah

Seriously though, I can go back and forth between XP and OSX most of the time without even thinking. I was confortable with OSX after say 1-2 hours usage. VERY EASY to learn. I have been running XP Pro since the first week it came out.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I find OS X really easy for complete n00b's and experts. "Intermediate" users find themselves underwhelmed by the simplicity sometimes: they don't see the answers because they're so easy sometimes (eg. just drag 'n drop).

But after a few weeks you'll feel right at home.
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

The location of the menu bar, sometimes i'm still looking for it at the top of the window and not at the top of the screen and discovering that .ZIP files are called Archives in OSX. I think of myself as in intermediate (Windows/PC) user but i didn't find any frustration or similar with OSX. It somehow reminds me of PocketPC or PalmOS.
I loved it from the very first time, it scrolls like butter!

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

easy...

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDIT-XTREEM
easy...
Gee, that was helpful.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious

Even with all my attempts to learn OS X at an Apple retail store and at my cousin's, nothing could have prepared me for switching from being a very advanced Windows user to a Mac user. Here are the difficulties I encountered along the way:

-Getting used to the idea of zooming my windows rather than maximizing them (This gets much better as you learn to use Expose)
-Losing my paranoia when it came to installing most applications simply by dragging the app into the Applications folder (and vice-versa for uninstalling them)
-Getting used to applications usually being in dmgs when downloaded; I never had to use disk images much on Windows.

-At the beginning it feels like you're using your mouse way too much, but as you get better you'll learn the extensive keyboard shortcuts in OS X.

-The lack of the Start Menu absolutely killed me the first two weeks. Spotlight helps alleviate this though, since now I only keep my frequently used apps in the Dock and rely on the very efficient Spotlight for everything else. As a temporary solution until you get used to it, though, press Shift-Command-A while in Finder to open the Applications Folder in a new window. Better yet, put the Applications folder in your Dock so you can just click it there.

-The three buttons being at the top-left of the window rather than the top-right, along with the skewing of the desktop to the right rather than the left like on Windows.

-Getting used to closing windows without quitting the applications

-Playing back my video files in a very enjoyable manner is something I fine tuned up until a few weeks ago. I can share my secrets to success with you if you so desire.

I'd say that about covers it. It usually helps to bring a safety blanket of some kind with you. For me, that was using Firefox as my default browser until I learned to appreciate Mac multitasking, which Firefox seems to be opposed to with its zoom button that acts like a maximize button. The memory efficiency could also be better on Firefox. That said, here are some applications that are essential:

-Adium (http://www.adiumx.com) is the best instant messaging application I have ever used. It is very changeable and supports a ridiculous number of instant messaging clients. And it's freeware based on libGaim.

-VLC (http://www.videolan.org) is a free media player that plays every file type out there except the Real Player files (download Real Player if you just as well) and the WMV files specifically encoded with the WMV3 codec. It plays DVDs also, by the way. Anyway, for those pesky WMVs...

-Flip4mac (http://www.flip4mac.com) is a set of Quicktime components that enables WMV playback in Quicktime Player. It's nifty, and since Microsoft stopped supporting Windows media Player 9 for mac, they generously paid off the Flip4mac team to offer it for free.

-Stuffit Expander (http://www.stuffit.com) will be essential if you want to uncompress anything, and pretty much every app you download will be in a disk image in a compressed file. make sure you get just Stuffit Expander, the free one.

There are also a couple of other things about Media playback in particular I can teach you how to do, like get Quicktime to play in fullscreen (though you can accomplish this with iTunes f you so desire). If you ever find need for those, just ask me. Congrats on the jump.
QUOTE Thanks
curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor
Here are the difficulties I encountered along the way
Excellent info. Awesome tips. Exactly the type of post I was looking/hoping for. Thank you!

Quote:
Getting used to the idea of zooming my windows rather than maximizing them
Huh?

Quote:
Getting used to applications usually being in dmgs when downloaded
Huh #2?

Quote:
Getting used to closing windows without quitting the applications
Huh #3?

Quote:
For me, that was using Firefox as my default browser...
I'm using it right now (on the PC, of course).

Quote:
Congrats on the jump.
Well... I haven't jumped yet.
I'm still scared to death. Scared of the unknown... scared of leaving my comfort zone... and (frankly) scared that after making the switch I'll find that it's not really *that* much of a benefit over Windows, and realize I've made a huge financial mistake.

But, I'm getting closer... much closer. We'll see what happens. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

if you hit the plus button on the top of your window it will more or less zoom it to the correct size, it will not fill up the entire window like the maximize/miniimize button in windows (i think this is what he was talking about)

dmg's (aka disk images)...for example you download firefox, it will come within a disk image that will mount on your desktop, it will look like a white hard drive...inside it will be your firefox application...in order to install it you simply drag the firefox icon to your applications folder

next...
you hit the red x your program does not close. simple as thathitting the red x in the top left of a window closes the window and only the window. to close the program you go to the menubar and select the program name and then click 'quit (program name)'. or you hit command+q

just take the jump....pick up a b&w powermac g3 just to test the waters, you can find them for like 200+ship...

hope everthing i typed was helpful and correct, my eyes are closing from being so tired
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

CMD+N
CMD+DEL
CMD+A

Those few make my life so much easier when using the internet, copying and of course pasting around. I use shortcuts on my PB WAAAY more than clicking or dragging. On my mom's dell, I feel like anything other than copy and paste are way too clunky.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Speed. I'm not nearly as fast in OS X as I am in Windows yet. A lot of the keyboard shortcuts are different. I got used to the minimize/maximize button placement on the left a lot quicker than I thought I would, although it seems like more work to drag the cursor over to the left everytime

Also, finding Mac-equivalent software has been a bit of a challenge. I use a ton of apps on a regular basis. Google has been a great tool in aiding in my switch; I've found a variety of good replacements already, maybe I'll post them sometime.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z

next...
you hit the red x your program does not close. simple as thathitting the red x in the top left of a window closes the window and only the window. to close the program you go to the menubar and select the program name and then click 'quit (program name)'. or you hit command+q
I forgot about this too. So easy to quit apps! I also use CMD+tab to cycle through apps. I am so efficient on MacOS, I scare myself sometimes!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Not able to access the internet! | Clipboard recall »