New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac Newbie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Billy Hare

Billy Hare is on a distinguished road

Kracalo, I really appreciate your input on my questions and concerns. I didn't mean to start a disagreement but I think it is good as everyone is giving their own opinion on the subject which allows the OP to have more options to choose from. I think I may try ClamXav first and scan the external hard drive and thumb drives that I used for my windows to make sure they are clean.
Speaking of the external hard drive that I used on my Windows machine. If it is partition in FAT32 I can use it on my Mac also, correct?

Thanks again guys for all of your help.
Billy
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yes, you can use a volume that is formatted FAT32 on a Mac. However, no file on that volume can be over 4GB in size, so basically that means "no lengthy videos." It's a limitation of the FAT32 system.
QUOTE Thanks
kracalo

kracalo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Hare View Post
Speaking of the external hard drive that I used on my Windows machine. If it is partition in FAT32 I can use it on my Mac also, correct?

Thanks again guys for all of your help.
Billy
OS X is supporting FAT format but not entirely NTFS. For NTFS read and write support you will need to make some changes or instal some apps of course if you want to write on NTFS formated drives.
QUOTE Thanks
kracalo

kracalo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
We're actually not going off topic. The OP asked about virus protection...and folks commented.

Do you really think that this is our first discussion regarding Macintosh computers & virus protection??...hardly.
No I don`t.

Quote:
The only thing anti-virus programs do for Macintosh computers is slow them down. Macintosh computers (at this time) do not need anti-virus programs. We are very very very very very experienced on this topic.

We wouldn't suggest NOT using an anti-virus program on Macintosh computers...unless we had facts to back it up.
It`s not necessary that antivirus is slowing down macs. Nowadays antivirus apps for OSX are actually written for OSX and not just mix of some linux and windows code and somehow compiled to work on OSX.
We all have our own experiences with viruses and other malware. I work in company with over 1000 workstations (about 50 of them are macs, few linux machines and rest of them are windows based) and at least every month someone brings some kind malware in company. One time a mac user copied from USB drive to network drive some folders containing malware this could become disaster for company. Same thing can happen in home networks.

Quote:
Your family is not unique in that it has a mix of Windows & Mac's. Lots of our members have the same situation. A virus from a Windows computer is not going to spread to a Mac computer.
I'm not saying that macs will get virus, I'm only trying to say that mac users are unaware about spreading malware. And yes there are viruses and other malware for OS X ( in the bottom is list of known malware First ever virus for Mac OS X discovered)
And some additional reading
Malware-flingers do it back-to-front : scaM snaps, spans Macs
Mac malware Crisis as Apple lets slip its Mountain Lion

Quote:
The only reason you are being challenged on this topic is...you recommended to the OP that they run anti-virus on their Mac. And the collective wisdom on this Macintosh internet forum is...anti-virus is NOT needed (at this time) on Macintosh computers.
We can go on and on with this and we will newer get to the end. I have a lot of reasons to use and recommend antivirus software, but I will join collective wisdom of this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracalo View Post
OS X is supporting FAT format but not entirely NTFS. For NTFS read and write support you will need to make some changes or instal some apps of course if you want to write on NTFS formated drives.
Correct. Most of us here recommend Paragon NTFS (link). For $20, it's a great solution if you have to write to NTFS drives.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Two things, kracalo:

1. Sophos is flat-out LYING in that first article you linked to. They even admit it by calling it (correctly) a worm rather than a virus. It isn't a virus. Words mean things, even waaaaay back in 2006 when that hyperbolic headline was written. There are no, repeat, there are NO viruses for the Mac. Then, and now. Period.

2. Now that we're clear on that, if you feel you want to run an anti-malware program that's entirely up to you, we just don't have one that we can recommend without qualifications. Yes, even ClamX is not without its issues. Apple provides a built-in and silently-updated anti-malware service called XProtect already, and remotely disables the two big "holes" that exist in core Web technologies (Java and Flash) when a problem is discovered or the technologies aren't regularly used. IMO that plus the tiniest bit of common sense should cover you nicely.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« window tab pull down | Looking to upgrade my 2007 13" Macbook »