New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

new to mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scoocum

scoocum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina

Howdy folks

I'm new to macs and just picked up a new MacBook Pro retina and an apple display. Been a windows user for decades and so far I'm kicking myself in the you know what for not considering mac's a decade ago. I'm an amateur photog and over many years have accumulated thousands of images and have struggled with organization of these files for the past 10 years...

I did it in an afternoon with my macbook and aperture....

I'll have lots of dumb questions so be prepared

First thing I did was create a user account with no admin privy so I don't delete things that shouldn't be deleted. After all, my motto in life is "if it ain't broke, fix it till it is"

cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
Brozz

Brozz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Newest Mac Mini

Welcome.
Im new as well, (was a 13 year Windows user) and I too have many "dumb" questions that will need answering.
I also work with digital images & photos, and I can tell you that you're going to LOVE working on a Mac.
I know I do.
QUOTE Thanks
tornadochaser

tornadochaser is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 black macbook 2.4/2/250 running 10.7.5,

I too used windows for years up until around late 2011 when a friend of mine gave me an old ibook laptop running os x tiger after i almost destroyed the laptop i had that was running windows vista, he said here try this and see what you think. i saw how nice os x worked and it didnt do anything stupid like windows always does and i was hooked, i now have a early 2006 imac and a 2008 black macbook, converted my mom to mac as well...she is using a 2009 mac mini and always says how much more pleasant working on the computer is. you will never return to a windows machine and os x is so much more user friendly than windows...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Welcome and congratulations!

While I am happy that you are enjoying the machine, creating a "user" account for yourself is a good example of "stinkin' Windows thinkin'" that came with you from your previous machine. It's really not necessary (and in a real-world sense, kind of a PITA) to limit yourself with a user-level account. When you feel comfortable, upgrade yourself -- you'll be glad you did.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I whole heartedly agree with you chas. But what takes me back, is that even MacWorld in a recent issue recommended creating a limited account for every day use.

They also ran a article several issues ago recommending that buyers of Apple desktops (mini and iMac) not bother purchasing Apple Care. If I had paid attention to that, my recent hard drive crash on my 21.5" iMac would have cost me a $275 repair bill instead of the free replacement, parts + labor.
QUOTE Thanks
scoocum

scoocum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina

I did buy AppleCare for my phone and macbook! Seemed like too good a coverage to pass up. As for the user account, I think I read that online. I'll probably switch my account to admin at some point because I do have enter in admin passwords quite often.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« debating if i should install lion on my macbook | Macbook Air vs. Pro, impossible to decide »