New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New iMac Backwards Compatible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

derekjackson

derekjackson is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I'm thinking of upgrading my creaking old Mac Mini (2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS X 10.4.11) to one of the new iMacs.

I've invested a fair bit of pocket money into various bits of software over the years, so I'd be frustrated if I wasn't able to use them on my new machine.

Will most pieces of software be okay running on a much newer machine? Specifically, I'm interested in the Adobe Creative Suite 3 (Design Standard) and FormZ Renderzone Plus 6.6.2 amongst others.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It's probably not the machine hardware that will determine whether your older software will run, rather it's the version of OS X. The latest iMacs (Late 2013) ship with Mountain Lion 10.8.4 or 10.8.5. Newer ones will likely ship with Mavericks.

Keep in mind that any software you have that uses PPC code will not run in Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks. Snow Leopard is the last version of OS X that has the Rosetta emulator built in to run PPC software. Best advice is to do your homework before upgrading.
QUOTE Thanks
derekjackson

derekjackson is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Where would I find out about the PPC code? Is it a case of contacting each software producer?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's what I would do, contact the developers. I had a CD of games that I bought which on the cover said was coded universal. I tried to install it in Lion and it failed because the installer had PPC code. It was only $25 that I was out but it still made me angry because it was not clearly marked.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

When OS X Lion came out, a lot of people wanted to check compatibilty of with existing apps with it and thus this site came around. It has been updated to include support of Mountain Lion and Mavericks as well.

So take your list of apps and search through that database and see what you find..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I can assure you that CS 3 does in fact run on Mavericks, I still use CS3 Photoshop and InDesign (though I really should upgrade these to CS6 or CC while I still can!).

I'd encourage you to re-think this strategy of yours, however. While I am *not* a fan of the model Adobe has moved to of late, I have to admit that the current offer of Photoshop CC plus Lightroom plus other goodies for $10/month is a very fair offer. It would take six years or more to BUY Photoshop at its pre-CC cost at that rate, and that rate wouldn't include upgrades as this does. $20/month (the normal price) was a bit rich IMO, but $10 a month (if they hold to that price for a full year or more) is IMO entirely fair. It's mostly a case of me not liking the entire "rental" concept that is my biggest stumbling block, but as Apple could have told them -- you price it fairly and you not only get people on board, but you get them to stop pirating the thing so much.

(this is why I've never upgraded from CS3 -- I paid for it, but I never had the money handy when the upgrade offers came around and refused to steal it, plus I have a number of plug-ins that are compatible with it).

I am likely to jump to CC before this current offer ends, using the money I save in the short-term to upgrade my plug-ins too. When the price goes back to normal I have the freedom of walking away from CC if I decide I need to -- Pixelmator handles a good deal of my day-to-day use, and there are programs like Snapseed and the standalone Perfect Photo Suite etc that handle the rest, so I'm set for alternatives if CC doesn't work out for me in the long run.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Entourage help | Slow mail app »