New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Sleep or Shutdown? Macbook Air

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacPastor

MacPastor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a tricked out MBA (i7, 8gb, 512gb). Took a couple of days to get everything setup for it after downloading gigabytes worth of programs, data, etc.

Anyway, this will not be my primary computer as I use my iMac throughout the day.

So my question, is it better to:

a) Click on Apple and 'Shutdown'
b) Click on Apple and 'Sleep'
c) Simply close the lid

Which one is better? Does one tax the hard drive or display or batter better/worse than the other?

Thanks for the help!

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPastor View Post
b) Click on Apple and 'Sleep'
c) Simply close the lid
Either of these.

Option "b" could also apply to the iMac.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MacPastor

Thanks Nick!

Yeah, I just usually let my iMac go to sleep and very rarely shut it down.

But I won't be using my MBA anywhere near the same as my iMac. In fact, I could go a few days without using it at all.

What is the harm of shutting it down if I may ask? Or rather, why don't you recommend it?

Thank you for the info!

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, I just usually let my iMac go to sleep and very rarely shut it down.
That works too!

Quote:
But I won't be using my MBA anywhere near the same as my iMac. In fact, I could go a few days without using it at all.

What is the harm of shutting it down if I may ask? Or rather, why don't you recommend it?
In your initial post you didn't mention the frequency of use for your MBA. If you think that you will go multiple days without using it...then shutting it down would be ok. But sleeping it would be ok too.

Technically waking from sleep is faster. But with flash storage (like your MBA has) even starting the computer "cold" is pretty fast. You of course use less electricity when shutting down vs. sleeping (but this is really small in terms of $$$).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

dbm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2011, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running Yosemite

My wife's MBA has been shut down about 5 times in the last three years, so sleep is always fine.

I think official guidance is to switch off if you won't be using it for 5+ days.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Apple guidance isn't that specific, but as a rule of thumb I usually figure more than three full days. Since I'm VERY rarely away from my computer for that long, that works for me.

Having said that, when I lived in Florida (lightning capital of North America if not the world), I would unplug the machine from the mains during severe weather (which we got a lot). Even though I had a UPS on it in normal use. There are some things even a UPS can't overcome.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I would unplug the machine from the mains during severe weather (which we got a lot). Even though I had a UPS on it in normal use. There are some things even a UPS can't overcome.
Good advice. I do the same here in the Dallas Fort Worth area of Texas as we get thunderstorms and lightning in the Spring and Fall that sound like WW III. Otherwise, I just put my iMac to sleep.
QUOTE Thanks
VAMountaineer

VAMountaineer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Apple guidance isn't that specific, but as a rule of thumb I usually figure more than three full days. Since I'm VERY rarely away from my computer for that long, that works for me.

Having said that, when I lived in Florida (lightning capital of North America if not the world), I would unplug the machine from the mains during severe weather (which we got a lot). Even though I had a UPS on it in normal use. There are some things even a UPS can't overcome.
Thumbs up on that... I lived in north FL for a few years, and made quite a few service calls for systems which were attached to VERY expensive UPS/surge protection systems... most of them never saw what hit 'em...

my rule of thumb is if it's a desktop, shut it down if you're awya for more than 48hrs.. if a laptop, well..... i'm never away from my laptop for more than 12-18hrs.. I reboot annually, whether it's needed or not....
QUOTE Thanks
MacPastor

You guys are great! Thanks for all the advice.

QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

For as long as I can remember I operate the same sequence
1) Open the lid
2) Do work
3) Close the lid
Next day, start at 1 :-)
I only actually boot my machine when Apple Software Update asks me to do so.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

Slightly off topic - when my iMac is sleeping, it periodically wakes up for a minute or so (probably every few hours). Do you guys know why?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checco View Post
Slightly off topic - when my iMac is sleeping, it periodically wakes up for a minute or so (probably every few hours). Do you guys know why?
- Do you have an external input device plugged into it?
- Is it really asleep (maybe the screen is just dark)? Sometimes web pages with reoccurring video's/commercials playing can cause a display that looks like it is sleeping to "wake up".
- Do you have a cat?
- Do you have any sort of alarm set on the computer?

Just some random stuff to consider.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

dotdotdot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.9.2 (12C60)

What still remains running when it is in Sleep?

I power mine Off, and then turn off the power strip with all my (few) accessories.

I swear that I read somewhere, possibly in the material which came with my iMac, Apple's "official" recommendation is to just put it in Sleep.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
What still remains running when it is in Sleep?
The sleep light (if your computer has one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
I swear that I read somewhere, possibly in the material which came with my iMac, Apple's "official" recommendation is to just put it in Sleep.
If this is the case...why are you powering your computer off??

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

dotdotdot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.9.2 (12C60)

Powering off because I'm a skinflint! I enjoy, and am fascinated by the game of energy efficiency, in all areas of living -- this is one of those.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Syncing music from Mac Book Pro to I-Pad | External hard drive help »