New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

External hard drive help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JonSalcedo83

JonSalcedo83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac and iPad

I want to buy an external hard drive for my iMac, and
I'm lost on which to buy since I don't know much.
I have the newest iMac. I use it for photoshop, iMovie, Final cut, and stuff like that.
Any advice, links, reviews, or information on the best external hard drive will help me a lot.

Thank you in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

There's no best. Get something USB 3.0 that is in your budget.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post
There's no best. Get something USB 3.0 that is in your budget.
In the spring, I bought 2 Seagate 1 TB USB 3.0 external drives for our new iMac & MBPro to run Time Machine - reformatted both to Mac OS Extended; needed to do a minor firmware update from the Seagate web site (may not be needed now after 6 monte?).

Of course, there are numerous other options and I'm sure that others will 'chime in' w/ their choices.

P.S. the Seagate (1 TB) is available from Amazon for $70.

QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

You do not say which model Mac, year, or OS you have. There is currently an issue with WD drives and Mavericks IF you use the WD software. If you do not use the WD software and just partition and format OS extended journaled, you will be fine with a WD ext hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Which ever one you buy, don't bother installing any software that comes with it. There's no need. If it's not already formatted foe Mac, then just use Disk Utility.
QUOTE Thanks
JonSalcedo83

Thanks for the replies I guess I am leaning towards the Seagate, and I know now that I shouldn't install the software. I am going to wait till a little after Thanksgiving if there is any input I'd appreciate it.
I have a 21.5 Inch Late 2012 running on Mountain Lion
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

+1 for Seagate.
QUOTE Thanks
joster.macedo

joster.macedo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 8-core MacPro

I have a few drives I bought from OWC (Other World Computing (OWC) - Performance Upgrades For Your Mac).

Take a look at this one:

OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro mini - Bus-Powered Portable USB 3.0 / USB 2.0 / FireWire 800 / eSATA

and this one:

OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro USB 3.0 & 2.0 / FireWire 800, and 2.5" SATA Portable External Hard Drive & SSD

Joster
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice

Just ordered the 1 TB version of the drive above - 50% more expensive than the 1 TB Seagate external HDs that I bought in the spring for Time Machine backups, but like the description on the website and the warranty - will arrive next week. Plan to put two partitions on the drive then using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner), clone my MBPro & iMac and hope that I can boot each machine - talked to their tech staff who was 'pretty' confident (apparently a problem w/ some of the other brands of HHDs?). Dave
QUOTE Thanks
JonSalcedo83

What's time machine and why is it important?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSalcedo83 View Post
What's time machine and why is it important?

Hi Jon... - Time Machine is Apple's OS X built-in backup program - check HERE for more information - the app's icon (pic below) should be in your Applications folder in Finder and also shown in Lauchpad (or in an Other folder) - assumed that was the reason you wanted an external hard drive. For myself, my 1 TB Seagate drives are dedicated just to that purpose, which is the usual recommendation but not a necessity. Dave

QUOTE Thanks
JonSalcedo83

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hi Jon... - Time Machine is Apple's OS X built-in backup program - check HERE for more information - the app's icon (pic below) should be in your Applications folder in Finder and also shown in Lauchpad (or in an Other folder) - assumed that was the reason you wanted an external hard drive. For myself, my 1 TB Seagate drives are dedicated just to that purpose, which is the usual recommendation but not a necessity. Dave

ohh okay that Link explains a lot. I was just going to use the external drive to save all my movies, pictures, songs, and stuff to keep my Mac clean, but backing it up sounds like a better alternative.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSalcedo83 View Post
ohh okay that Link explains a lot. I was just going to use the external drive to save all my movies, pictures, songs, and stuff to keep my Mac clean, but backing it up sounds like a better alternative.
Hi again - actually, I believe that one should have multiple backups - I've had 3 external 'mechanical' HDs crash on me over the years, so relying on just one backup of your important data is overly optimistic in my experience. For my MBPro (which has my photos & music), I'm not only using the Seagate 1 TB HHD w/ Time Machine (TM), but I also periodically backup my Docs/Pics/Music to a La Cie 120 GB SSD - not cheap but I do trust it more and these are the files that I've invested the most time in making and would miss the most. I'm about to also 'clone' the laptop using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner).

For our iMac, also TM running on another Seagate HD, plus the Docs/Pics/Music etc. being backed up online using Carbonite; in addition will also clone the computer w/ CCC. Now I'm retired but if these files or others were related to my business, I would keep a backup 'off site', like in a bank vault or in an office in case of a natural disaster. Overly careful - don't know? Good luck! Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Overly careful - don't know?
I agree, can't ever be too careful with data!
QUOTE Thanks
Backlighting

Backlighting is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini: OSX 10.9.4 Mavericks, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.

I recently replaced my 6 yr old Seagate 250 GB with a new Seagate 2T.
Works great.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sleep or Shutdown? Macbook Air | Macbook Air and iLok »