New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Full migration to OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

I've been running OSX for a couple of years now, but am still quite reliant on my Windows VMs to carry out certain tasks, simply because I own Windows licenses for software packages I use.

An example is Visio - yesterday I needed to use Visio to document a process, but I didn't have that VM running. So opening Visio became quite a lot more "involved" as I had to boot an entire OS. This complication is getting to me of late for a few reasons:
  • I like working in OSX as, in my personal opinion, it's 10^9 times better than working in Windows, for many, many reasons. Don't suspect I'll get much argument here
  • If I'm running on battery on my MBP, a Windows VM munches into the battery life, as can be expected since an additional OS is running (likely far less efficient OS).
  • Booting, even loading from suspend, just creates wear and tear on my HDD. When I can, I put my Mac to sleep, but in some cases it's not possible.
  • I like OSX. Oh, did I mention that?

Can anyone share similar experiences and what your approach has been to the whole switching thing? Did you put up with the issue or have you just migrated and importantly, has the equivalent OSX software been up to the task, or better?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I have found I no longer need anything in Windows for my particular needs but my friends and family that do use Parallels and run in the vm with no complaints using Windows 7.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Visio, depending on how advanced your use of it is, can be effectively replaced by using Omnigraffle:

OmniGraffle - The Omni Group

I think most "switchers" eventually find replacement (native Mac) programs for their Windows needs, or "cross-grade" licenses (as with MS Office or Adobe software). The people who stick with VM environments over the long haul are most likely to be either Quicken users (shakes fist at Intuit) or those who love their Macs but have to use vertical-market specialized software not available on the Mac platform.

PS. If you just need basic diagramming, have a look at Keynote (or Pages), which has a set of basic drawing tools. I've used Keynote to make basic diagrams many times.
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I have found I no longer need anything in Windows for my particular needs but my friends and family that do use Parallels and run in the vm with no complaints using Windows 7.
That's a good place to be! My Fusion VMs are fine, just a hassle. I recently migrated one of my IDEs to an OSX version and it's substantially faster - hope to migrate as much as possible as soon as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Visio, depending on how advanced your use of it is, can be effectively replaced by using Omnigraffle:

OmniGraffle - The Omni Group
Thanks. I'm going to test it out and then budget for it - hard to pay for a license that you already 'have', but improved productivity and reduced hassle will quickly make up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I think most "switchers" eventually find replacement (native Mac) programs for their Windows needs, or "cross-grade" licenses (as with MS Office or Adobe software).
The only things I can't do away with are development tools for Windows (Delphi) and certain tools provided for hardware devices that only have a Windows version. When not using those though, I also want to get native!
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

dbm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2011, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running Mavericks

I have gone full-Mac for my personal use, but have to stick with a Windows machine for work.

I have the full suite of iWork apps, which are pretty good. OpenOffice is also good, and the 'Draw' element is actually better than Visio in my opinion (depending on the type of diagrams you want to produce).

Another good option is actually iPad apps - TouchDraw is a very effective drawing app, for example, and you can just import the documents you want to your Mac as needed. TouchDraw can even export in Visio format if you need that...
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
I have gone full-Mac for my personal use, but have to stick with a Windows machine for work.
That's great! Isn't it just painful going back to windows though?

Quote:
I have the full suite of iWork apps, which are pretty good. OpenOffice is also good, and the 'Draw' element is actually better than Visio in my opinion (depending on the type of diagrams you want to produce).
Thanks. I'll look at the Draw option, although I prefer a commercial product for professional use.

Quote:
Another good option is actually iPad apps - TouchDraw is a very effective drawing app, for example, and you can just import the documents you want to your Mac as needed. TouchDraw can even export in Visio format if you need that...
TouchDraw looks awesome, thanks for the tip!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Aeris Atmos ai Dive Computer Software | Bookmarks on side of window »