New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Parralells VM not starting after Maverick Update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spartan07

Spartan07 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I was using Parallels v8 happily with Windows 7 professional until i upgraded to Maverick. Now windows tries to start but then hangs at welcome and just drops back to windows start page after a minute of so. I have the latest version of V8 which Parallels say will work.
Ive tried reinstalling Parallels and have reported the issue but not hopeful of a quick result. Can anyone help or has anyone had similar issues.
Many thanks,
Mike
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

It's possible that the latest version of Parallels is not compatible with Mavericks (Mavericks is newer).

Have you checked the Parallels website for any sort of updaters?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Spartan07

No. Ive checked that. Im running the latest version of parallels 8 and it is compatible.
Mike
QUOTE Thanks
SODworks

SODworks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See signature block :)

Hi Spartan07,

I got a lot of emails from Parallels about the new OSX Mavericks and how my Parallels 7 would not work with the new OSX. They also said I need to upgrade to Parallels 9 before I update my OSX otherwise it won't work and I would have to reinstall windows again. It also said Parallels 9 would be the only version to work with OSX Mavericks. So in the end, I paid 50$ for the upgrade from Parallels 7 to 9 and then I installed Mavericks.

Although I received this message in german, it clearly states in the second paragraph that you must have version 9 of parallels installed prior to installing OSX Mavericks and that parallels 9 is the only version to work with OSX Mavericks.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: png aaaaaaa.png (54.0 KB, 35 views)

 iMac 2012 2.9GHZ i5 1TB SSD 32GB Ram 660m 512MB GFX  Mac Mini 2012 2.5GHZ i5 500GB HDD 8GB Ram Intel HD 4000 GFX  13" MBP 2009  iPad 3 64GB  iPhone 5S 32GB  ATV 2 & 3  TC 3TB 2011  Airport Extreme 2013  Airport Express x2 2012 
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

From the Parallels website:
Quote:
Service Alert for Parallels Desktop 8 Users Upgrading to Mavericks – October 23, 2013!
If you intend to upgrade to Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9), and are running Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac, you must be running the most recent update (build 8.0.18608). Select “Check for Updates” in the Parallels Desktop menu or click here.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
SODworks

SODworks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See signature block :)

They bloody lied to me! On my email I received it said you had to run the latest version of Parallels (v9) to use it on Mavericks...

Too late now to argue I guess

 iMac 2012 2.9GHZ i5 1TB SSD 32GB Ram 660m 512MB GFX  Mac Mini 2012 2.5GHZ i5 500GB HDD 8GB Ram Intel HD 4000 GFX  13" MBP 2009  iPad 3 64GB  iPhone 5S 32GB  ATV 2 & 3  TC 3TB 2011  Airport Extreme 2013  Airport Express x2 2012 
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It does say version 7 users will need to upgrade to 9 but it seems you should be ok with 8.

Though the message is a little ambiguous. It's not clear if you have to have that update prior to installing Mavericks . .

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SODworks View Post
They bloody lied to me!
Yes, yes they did (unfortunately):
Screenshot 2013-11-05 10.51.11.png

Spartan07, have you consider that this might be a Windows issue (assuming you have a supported version of Parallels installed)? Have you tried creating a new Windows VM to see if that works?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Spartan07

I was using the latest patched version of Parallels 8 ok. I can't see the issue being Windows at it was working the day before. I don't have a backup of the original VM Creating a new one won't help.

Parallels 9 allows access to new features but version 8 should work.

Is there a way to verify the existing windows installation or even re install without losing data?

Thanks for help so far everyone.
Mike
QUOTE Thanks
Zugig

Zugig is on a distinguished road

Bought my first Mac (MacBook Pro 15 retina) a month ago and Parallels Desktop to run Office suite where my clients still live. For the first 2 weeks it worked fine, then it started crashing repeatedly, sometimes causing the loss of open documents or part thereof. I've had at least four remote sessions with Parallels support but it crashed again within an hour of the last session and continues to do so regularly. I can't seem to find any information in the Windows error logs to explain what is happening, but it's probably between Mavericks and PD9, since PD9 closes too. Any thoughts on where I should look for information with Mavericks or PD9 to help figure this out?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It's likely a Parallels 9 problem. If Parallels is crashing it will take down the Windows VM without any error logging within Windows. All I can suggest is to access the Parallels user forums and see if you can get help peer to peer which is usually better than the Parallels support personnel.
QUOTE Thanks
Zugig

Zugig is on a distinguished road

chscag, that makes perfect sense on the lack of Windows error logging, and if Mavericks is kicking PD9 to the curb for some reason, there won't be any PD logging either. Might there be some in Mavericks somewhere? (Sorry, a newbie question)
I'll check the PD forums as you suggest as I'm sure they're more helpful than the support folks.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Contact Email Link | Application (null) »