New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Which Apps do you use?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

I have owned this Mac Mini from new but I very rarely stray from the original software that came with it and the few progs that I have downloaded. I use it mainly for Office type stuff and I downloaded Poker Stars to waste a few hours of an evening when the TV is boring. But I got to wondering which Apps do other folk find that the can't live without. This was brought on by looking at the desktop images and seeing all the different icons in the task bar thing.
So be dears and let me know so that I can check them out and find some other Apps to keep me sane.
Cheers guys,
Steve.

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I use mostly what it came with too, except Office for Mac, which I use often. One that's not "work" that I wouldn't want to do without is Skype.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tevie View Post
This was brought on by looking at the desktop images and seeing all the different icons in the task bar thing.
Sounds to me like you are suffering from "task bar envy" (it's actually called the "Dock" in the Macintosh World)!

Remember...all those Dock icons you see...may be for apps that have no application in your computing life. These apps could be:

- games that you may or may not like
- MS Office apps that you may or may not need/use
- Adobe apps that you may or may not use
- Utility programs
- etc.

Also consider that some folks may put a lot of app icons into their "Dock" for easy access. These could be apps. that you already have (in your applications or utilities folders)...you just don't have them in your dock.

But you never know...there may be a few apps. you find useful. But these also may be apps that cost hundreds of dollars or pounds...so they won't be free if you want them.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Nick ..... I admit it. I am officially greener than Shrek, lol

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Hi,

Its Printopia for me, this lets you print from iPad iPhone etc without having a WiFi printer works like a dream.
Printopia - AirPrint to Any Printer - Print from iPad - Print from iPhone - Ecamm Network
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tevie View Post
Nick ..... I admit it. I am officially greener than Shrek, lol
I hear ya!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Buc021

Buc021 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV

Apps I use?

Very Regularly/Daily:

- Mail for Mac
- Outlook for Mac
- Safari
- Excel

Two/three times a week

- Logic Pro X
- MS Word for Mac
- iMessage
- Quicktime/VLC
- Calculator (LOL!)
- Utorrent

One/two times a month

- iPhoto
- Final Cut Pro X
- Boom
- Paintbrush

Very rarely

- Sopcast
- Handbrake
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Thanks for those, Buc. Some titles I recognise and some that I'll need to investigate.
Cheers,
Steve.

QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

Apps I use that haven't been mentioned:
  • Archiver (zip utility)
  • Syncovery (backup/sync utility)
  • VMWare Fusion (for running Windows)
  • TextWrangler (source code/text editor)
  • Teamviewer (remote support)
QUOTE Thanks
Beatles4Life

Beatles4Life is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.9.5.

Here are a few apps that I use frequently:

– Bubble (free game where you pop different coloured bubbles - simple yet highly addictive)
– Image Well - this one isn't free, but I like to use it to crop/rotate/resize images
– Formulate Pro - useful for filling out those cumbersome little boxes on pdfs that I can never figure out how to edit otherwise
– Seashore (a free image editing programme - I like to think of it as Gimp for novices)
– Calibre (a free e-reader - this one was invaluable when I was a student and had to read lots of out of print/copyright novels for a literature class).

"Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John Lennon.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Backing up Original versions of Photos to External Hard Drive | Setting Up User Accounts »