New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Transferring music from ipod to mac

Thread Closed

shanr5

shanr5 is on a distinguished road

I have an iPod with about 500 songs from a computer that crashed. I would like to transfer that music to my newer MacBook Pro. My son downloaded Senuti without my knowledge and never transferred the music. So now, I tried downloading Senuti, it's telling me that the trial version is over. I only have about 500 songs, so I don't really want to buy something for a one time use. I checked in the sticky post about this subject, but the only suggestion was Senuti.

Any suggestions for free, reliable software I can use to accomplish the transfer?

Thanks in advance for any help rendered.
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Hi,

If they were all purchased through iTunes then the following should work.

1 Authorise your MacBook for iTunes purchases by opening iTunes. Click on the store menu at the top and select Authorise Computer.

Enter your Apple ID and password in the pop-up box when prompted. but remember if you have more than four computers already authorized to play your iTunes purchases, you must first de-authorize another computer.

Select file from the iTunes menu then select Transfer Purchases from iPod, which shows up under Sync iPod and above Page Setup this may also may include your iPod's name.

Hope this helped.
shanr5

shanr5 is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, most of the music was purchased from Amazon. Some was from CDs I have, but I'm not worried about those. I just need a simple copy from iPod to my computer.

I can't believe Apple does not provide for this situation.
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Try Yamipod - though it depends on which iPod you have.

Depending on 'how' your previous computer crashed you may still be able to recover the data that's on it but I guess that's another topic.

Without meaning to get all preachy, I would strongly suggest you invest in an external hard disk that you can use as a Time Machine backup for the MacBook Pro. That way all your music, pictures, video, documents would be backed-up should you have a failure in the future.

There's also DeTune to try.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Quote:
Unfortunately, most of the music was purchased from Amazon.

I just need a simple copy from iPod to my computer.
As well as mrplows very good hints you could try this,

1.)Open finder and minimise to the dock, now open iTunes, then

2.) Goto Preferences > Advanced, and check the box that says "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library” and click OK. You have to do this step or else iTunes will not be able to find the songs when your iPod is unplugged.

4.) Now plug your iPod and reopen finder, and drag the songs into iTunes from their location in finder.

5.) Now sync your iPod to the new computer.
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newscribe View Post
As well as mrplows very good hints you could try this,

1.)Open finder and minimise to the dock, now open iTunes, then

2.) Goto Preferences > Advanced, and check the box that says "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library” and click OK. You have to do this step or else iTunes will not be able to find the songs when your iPod is unplugged.

4.) Now plug your iPod and reopen finder, and drag the songs into iTunes from their location in finder.

5.) Now sync your iPod to the new computer.
Neither Finder, nor iTunes can 'see' the folder structure of the iPod to enable the tracks to be copied from the iPod I'm afraid so this won't work. Sorry.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanr5 View Post
Unfortunately, most of the music was purchased from Amazon. Some was from CDs I have, but I'm not worried about those. I just need a simple copy from iPod to my computer.

I can't believe Apple does not provide for this situation.
Unfortunately, Apple is not into creating apps that would make it easy for people to pirate (steal) music, movies, etc.

It is also likely that the set up they have of transferring this sort of data between computer and mobile device is written into the agreements they have with the providers of the content.

Apple has made it extremely easy for people to backup their content to alleviate the biggest worry about hard drive failures.
As pointed out with the apps mentioned by mrplow, there are plenty of 3rd party apps to fill the gap.

Also, all your iTunes and Amazon purchased music can be re-downloaded.
Amazon's via the Amazon Cloud Player.
If you haven't yet, sign up for their Cloud Drive and you'll get access to all the content purchased via that account.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Closed

« second printer | More RAM to fix 2007 Mac Pro? »