New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Need to Learn Advanced Use of OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toastysquirrel

toastysquirrel is on a distinguished road

I hope you guys can help me out.
I'm coming to Mac from Windows, of the latter I'd say I'm an advanced user. I've been using a MBAir for about 8 months and I've got the "every day use" down good and even some slightly advanced knowledge.

I do technical support for a company and management wants me to get my Mac skills on par with my Windows skills. I've searched Google and Amazon for books on the subject but so far I haven't found what I'm after.

Can anyone suggest any good books or online courses for becoming a power-user with Mac (Mt.Lion or Mavericks)? Advanced stuff like digging into Terminal commands for checking processes and status of the OS and apps; Rsync, generally more in depth stuff about understanding how to "really use" the Mac and diagnose stuff when it breaks with our application.

I don't care so much about learning Garage Band, or Calendar, etc. But I would like to know about sparse bundles, using PF to restrict traffic; general "under the hood" type stuff a regular user would ask a professional for.

Books are great; online courses are good; ebooks are less so, but still good enough. PS, I've been told to specifically say away from the "Dummies" series.

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

I recommend the Missing Manual series by David Pogue. Not only thorough, but entertaining as well. I have the ones for Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion. Don't know if there is one available for Mavericks yet. Everything you need to know about the actual OS is covered in that book. I think you're going to be looking at some 3rd party apps for some of the functions you mentioned, tho...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The "Missing Manual" is likely to be far too oriented to novices for this guy, MacShane. I'd suggest he take a look at the other offerings from O'Reilly Books., particularly this one.
QUOTE Thanks
toastysquirrel

toastysquirrel is on a distinguished road

Thanks for both of the suggestions guys, I'll consider both of them right now.

Still open to any other recommendations
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you want detailed stuff, O'Reilly books are a good place to start. You can also look for stuff online about some of these things. For example, rsync is widely used well beyond OS X and there are many many tutorials online for it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Free ways to backup Applications on OS X 10.2? | What Mac to get as a start? »