New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

WIFI repeater configuration on MAC Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thuis28

Thuis28 is on a distinguished road

Can someone help me with a step-by-step guide for setting up my WIFI repeater on my MAC mini. I would like to get an extension of the antenna range in my home WLAN. Dummy-level appreciated! The repeater is a Wireless-N device to plug into the wall socket.
Thanks on before hand.http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Kiss.png
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Welcome to the forums.

So you currently have a working wifi network?

What exact make and model of repeater do you have?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Thuis28

First of all thanks for your reply!
YES I've a working network at home. The router is a Netgear wireless router: 54 Mbps, WGR614, CE 0560.
It has one antenna.
My Mac mini is NOT cabled to this router nor to the ADSL modem.
BR, Thuis28
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so what exact make and model of repeater do you have?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Thuis28

Sorry I forgot to answer this question:
It's called a Wireless-N repeater, with stickers stating the following:E8ABFA114559, WL0189 REV. A.3.3
Default IP: 192.168.10.1 User/Password: adm
I do have some pics of the device if that should help.
BR, Thuis28
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

It's tricky without a manufacturer to go with but try this:

1. plug the repeater into a wall socket and connect it to your Mac Mini using an ethernet cable
2. temporarily turn off wifi on your Mac
3. Open Safari and enter "192.168.10.1" - no quotes into the address bar and hit enter
4. You should get a popup asking for a username and password enter "adm" no quotes into both
5. This is where it gets wooly, without full device details it's hard to give specifics
6. What you're trying to do is detect your existing wireless network and enter the password for it.
7. On a repeater that's all you should need to do. Save the settings if the option exists and close safari.
8. Disconnect the ethernet cable and re-enable wifi on your Mac
9. plug the repeater into a wall socket in the desired location
10. You should now get a further reaching wifi signal as the repeater re-broadcasts your existing wifi.

QUOTE Thanks
Thuis28

Thanks! S far I've come to #3.
The result is a google list with all kind of links related to this problem, but NO popup box for typing username or password.
Hmmm, I try again tomorrow. Have to go now.
Will let U know, 4sure :-)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

If you're still getting google results then you're still connected to the Internet!!!!!!!

Make sure it's only the IP address you're typing in

QUOTE Thanks
Thuis28

Hi again.
When following your instructions, and turning off Airport ( in Systempreferences), then I only get a screen with the compass and a message saying that Safari could not connect to Internet. There is NOT such address bar where I can type.
So what do I wrong?
BR, Thuis28
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

The Safari address bar is the same place you would type a web address at the top of safari.

Have you connected the repeater to the mac by cable and plugged it in?

QUOTE Thanks
Thuis28

So sorry to tell you but there is no such place on my screen where I can type anything - after turning off WIFI. I'd like to send you a screenshot :-)
Yes, I do have connected the repeater (wired) to the MAC mini
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I've highlighted the Safari address bar in red. Does this differ from what you can see?
Attached Images
File Type: png address bar.png (18.9 KB, 12 views)

QUOTE Thanks
Thuis28

Yes it surely differs a lot!
There is no such address bar next to the + sign at the top, nor anywhere else :-)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

You must have customised Safari in some way. How do you normally enter addreses? Try going to the view menu and click Show toolbar. Alternatively you can use a different browser like Chrome

QUOTE Thanks
Thuis28

First of all: THANKs for your patience!
I did customise Safari, and have now changed it back to its propiate view and layout.
Then I tuned off Airplay and entered the IP address in the bar, hit Enter and after a long time waiting Safari responded: The site you wanted could not be retrieved from the server (freely translated from Danish).
So I'm still stuck at #3 in your plan.
Any further suggestions or do you give up?
Thanks any way. I learned a lot :_)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Create a script to delete plist on application end | Saving A Word Doc to an external hard drive »