New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mavericks halloween scare

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stefanmaine

stefanmaine is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook Pro which is a couple of years old, and which, on awakening today, had Mountain Lion. Then, I followed an App Store Update popup about Mavericks. Downloaded it, and clicked on Install. When it was done, I got this scary message: "OS X could not be installed. The OS X upgrade could not be started because the disk HD is damaged and can't be repaired etc etc "

Of course, I panicked. I took the laptop to a neighborhood Apple-authorized facility, where a young fellow told me, after he said he ran diagnostics, that my hard disk is "toast".

At the urging of my wise wife, bless her heart, I trotted the laptop home to "sleep on it". There, I restarted the laptop, the upgrade restarted itself, installed fine, and opened at the desktop. Since then, I have checked email, run a half dozen apps, am now typing this message, and everything seems to be working. At About This Mac, it says I have OS X 10.9, which I believe is Mavericks.

Whew.
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

Interesting report.

Thx for sharing.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Perhaps you're only delaying the inevitable? Boot your machine to its Recovery partition by holding down the Command and R keys at the same time. Once in Recovery, select Utilities, and then Disk Utility. Verify the hard drive. Also you might want to download the free SmartReporter and run it.

And make backups!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanmaine View Post
At the urging of my wise wife, bless her heart, I trotted the laptop home to "sleep on it". There, I restarted the laptop, the upgrade restarted itself, installed fine, and opened at the desktop. Since then, I have checked email, run a half dozen apps, am now typing this message, and everything seems to be working. At About This Mac, it says I have OS X 10.9, which I believe is Mavericks.

Whew.
So the first question that comes to my mind is (after you dodged this bullet)...do you have a backup...or are you right now in the process of making one?

Because if you had a backup all along...there would have been absolutely no reason to:

- panic
- visit the local Apple expert
- told the hard drive was toast
- "bless the wife"
- sleep on it

When you have hard drive backups...there's a lot less to worry about!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Go by what SMARTReporter tells you. It makes no mistakes. And backup backup backup!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

As Nick said, plus hard drives failures can be intermittent, although less common, and the flex cable connecting the hard drive can become intermittent. After an episode such as you have reported, I would certainly have the hard drive and cable replaced, they are not expensive. If you have a 2012 13" MBP, Apple issued some small black sticky foam pads to protect the cable, ensure that is also fitted. The pads were only for the 2012 13" though.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
So the first question that comes to my mind is (after you dodged this bullet)...do you have a backup...or are you right now in the process of making one?

Because if you had a backup all along...there would have been absolutely no reason to:

- panic
- visit the local Apple expert
- told the hard drive was toast
- "bless the wife"
- sleep on it

When you have hard drive backups...there's a lot less to worry about!

- Nick
Indeed

-- iApprove this message! --

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
stefanmaine

stefanmaine is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all.

First, I do have backups. Even backups of the backups. I learned that lesson a very long time ago through multiple versions of DOS and Windows.

Quote:
Boot your machine to its Recovery partition by holding down the Command and R keys at the same time. Once in Recovery, select Utilities, and then Disk Utility. Verify the hard drive.
I did that, and the result is that the hard disk "appears to be OK".

Quote:
Also you might want to download SmartReporter and run it.
I purchased it from the App Store, and installed it. It has been running ever since. It reports "Status: OK".

Quote:
Perhaps you're only delaying the inevitable?
Yes, that occurred to me, too. But having the hard disk replaced is likely to cost a couple of hundred bucks, which may not be a lot, but it is a chunk. So, I think that for now, I will rely on SmartReporter, keep backing up, and see what evolves.
Quote:
Go by what SMARTReporter tells you. It makes no mistakes.
Thank you all again.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanmaine View Post
Thanks to all.

First, I do have backups. Even backups of the backups. I learned that lesson a very long time ago through multiple versions of DOS and Windows.
Good deal...glad to hear it! But if you had all of these backups...why was there so much "drama" when you had this "Halloween Scare"?

I mean I totally understand that waking up one day and having this happen can hit you VERY suddenly. But then 5 seconds later when you remember you have all those backups...you should get a BIG comfortable feeling of relief (due to the backups).

In any case...great to hear all is well. We do get a lot of story's where this happens ot folks...and they DON'T have backups. That's why we may sound pretty stern & harsh when it comes to backups.

If someone can afford a Macintosh computer...they can certainly afford to purchase some sort of backup device or "Cloud" storage for backups!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Going to VietNam | Simple Dashboard Questions »