New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Should I change my Macbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slasheer

slasheer is on a distinguished road

Helllo,

As most of you know today apple relased new Macbooks Pro. Right now im lost. I was thinking about checking my current mac to newer one but i do not know if it is good idea. I'm using my mac for basic stuff, as most of studens. From time to time i like to play some games but it is really rarely. Even though my mac got few upgrades i feel like it getting slower and slower each time i turining it on - i want to re-install whole system so hopefully it will help at least a bit. I would like to know your opinion guys if there is a sense for changing my old buddy for new one.

My current computer :
Macbook Pro 15" mid-2010 (MC373LL/A)
2.66 Intel Core i7
6GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
160 GB SSD Agility 3 (100 + 60)
Nvidia GT330M 512MB
15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Hi-Res antiglare widescreen display, 1680-by-1050 resolution
Battery is already with "error" to chenge it soon - it got only 4183mAh of 6900mAh

It has 42 months and 1274 cycles

Well i do not know what more is important to check it..

I was thinking about changing it to 13" or 15" - 13 more portable but 15 more powerfull especially - graphic. No idea, any suggestions ? Or i shoud rather upgrade it to 8GB ram and change battery and work on for a bit more?
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

Only you can answer whether you want to spend upwards of $2k to buy a new MBP. For what you do, I would personally stick with what you have and run Onyx to clean it up, speed it up a bit and then pay for a battery change, but that's just me...
QUOTE Thanks
slasheer

slasheer is on a distinguished road

thats what im thinking about too tho. I mean i think that i might not see a change in speed working since im using just a little bit of it power right?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasheer View Post
thats what im thinking about too tho. I mean i think that i might not see a change in speed working since im using just a little bit of it power right?
You really didn't mention anything compelling in your first post to justify getting a newer/faster computer.

Save your money!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

I would keep your current MacBook Pro and make some changes. It would benefit from 8GB RAM, and also slightly from having both modules the same size. Pull the 2GB module swopping for a 4.

Re the battery, you have consumed it. During warranty the maximum life is 1000 charge/recharge cycles. It's not the time you've had the MacBook Pro, but the 1274 cycles that has worn it down. If you replace it, consider whether you need to use it so much on battery.

You have a relatively small SSD fitted, 160GB, how much free space does the boot drive have have? Too little free space can cause a slow down.

As suggested earlier, run Onyx. It that isn't successful, clone your drive to an external with carbon copy cloner, reinitialise your internal drive and install a new OS on it, then migrate in from your clone.

Your current Mac should still be quite adequate for your usage.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A happy tale -- From FreeBSD/Linus to OSX | Dual Screen with Bootcamp »