New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Simple Dashboard Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Ok simple Dashboard questions.
1) Does anyone use this? I have mine disabled.
2) If you do use it. Can you explain its uses and how a average person may want to use it.

I like geeky stuff, hate to have something cool on my PC and never use it. Plus waiting on the Apple Event stream and very board.. LOL

Thanks,
Joe

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.5 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Joe, I have never used dashboard, as I don't really understand what it is there for :-)

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Since you can customize it, it's really up to you how you'd use it. On my dashboard I have only the widgets I use; the dictionary, unit converter, language translator and weather. The need for this information comes up for me more than it might for you, but probably more than you'd think.

I have also unchecked the option in System Preferences to show the Dashboard as a Space. This makes it appear over the desktop so I can still see my desktop underneath it.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I have it disabled on my computer. The only thing I did use it for has been replaced by other software.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I used to use it to check sports scores, but that particular "widget" (what do they call 'em?) died.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
I used to use it to check sports scores, but that particular "widget" (what do they call 'em?) died.
Yeah, I found that too. Many widgets just stopped working as the OS got updated. And then they never got updates.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

My main use was for the widget RadarinMotion, a local radar and weather widget. Guess what hasn't been updated in quite a while.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Craig, you mean this? It was updated in January of 2013, works well on my machine running 10.8.5.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

That's the one. Last time I tried it the map wouldn't load. Looks like he fixed it? Thanks!!

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Yeah, the maps come from Weather.com, so if they are having any issues, no maps. I had a Dilbert Widget that worked the same way and when Dilbert.com changed, widget quit. Dilbert would love it!
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Yea I am not much for widgets and gadgets that are maintained by other people. They tend to get outdated just when I enjoy them the most then wait forever for updates.. Think I will just play around with Geektools and see what I can do with it. Here is a screen shot from about 2 years ago of my Linux box with Conky. UI and everything is all custom built (drawn and programmed) by myself. Really liked this setup, will have to try to migrate it over to OSX and Geek tools.. It will prob be a full re write..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01JUNE2011.jpg (198.4 KB, 35 views)

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
Beatles4Life

Beatles4Life is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.9.5.

I use Dashboard all the time. I have a nice little weather app that I check constantly. Other widgets I use frequently include the conversion widget, dictionary, and thesaurus (this one was invaluable when I was writing my dissertation), as well as a password creating app.

"Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John Lennon.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mavericks halloween scare | Question about music transfer to new iMac »