normal operating temps for imac
    what is a normal internal temp for imac 27"?

27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Normal depends on a lot of things like ambient temp, load on the machine, amount of air flow, state of her intake vents and so on.

Tell us what you are seeing and wel'll tell if you should be worried or not..

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    Air temperature 26C and my iMac shows the following:-

HD 40. CPU 37. Ambient 26. CPU Diode 46. GPU Heatsink 43.

Power Supply 40 all in Celsius.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    If your iMac is ON, then it is probably working perfectly normally.

PC people get confused by the fact that the Mac doesn't require this level of "micro-management." They also particularly seem to think it is odd that the top of their iMac is rather warm. This is called convection cooling (aka "heat rises") and is used by Apple's super-clever engineers to reduce the need for excessive fan noise by allowing the machine to vent heat naturally. Cool air is drawn in from the bottom, passes over the components and warms up, with the heat venting near the top. It's ingenious, really.

Should your machine *actually* overheat (which almost never happens), it will automatically shut down to protect the processor. So if that's not happening, your machine is likely working exactly as designed. As HarryB points out above -- computers are perfectly okay with being hotter than humans would find comfortable.

iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.10.3 (12C60)
    I could fry eggs on the top vents of my iMac (probably not too far from the truth on a hot day), but it never seems to be a problem. I'll take the convection cooling design over loud fans any day.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    An iMac is normally very quiet although it has three fans going all the time. I run some fairly graphic intensive apps and have never experienced a situation where the top vents became so hot that I couldn't touch them. If your top vents are that hot, I would have the machine looked at. It could be that one or more of your three fans are clogged with dirt and not providing proper cooling. The air flow upward is by convection but keep in mind that you need those three fans to provide proper internal cooling.

Thread Information