New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Copying iTunes library from one external HD to another external HD.....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jt1968

jt1968 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Intel i7 2.3GHz.

I currently have my iTunes library on an external HD for use with my MacBook Pro (15" retina), because my library is over 70GB and my total SSD storage on the MBP is only 250GB. This works very well, no issues with it.

But I just built a monster gaming rig (PC), and I want to have all of my music on that PC. I will install iTunes on the PC.

The problem I'm running into is that within OSx, there doesn't seem to be any way of copying and pasting the library from one external HD to another - I was going to then transfer the library from the second ext HD to my iTunes on the PC. I can choose "copy" from the external HD that holds my library, but there is no "paste" function on the menu when I try to paste it to the other ext HD. This is quite infuriating.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah....the MBP is running the latest version of Mountain Lion. The PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iPhone 6 Plus 64GB / MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina Display (2012)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm assuming your second hard drive that you wish to copy the library to is formatted as either NTFS or FAT-32 since you wish to use it with your gaming PC?

If the second hard drive is formatted to NTFS you will be unable to write to it without a driver installed to OS X. If it's FAT-32 you should have no problem writing to it.

Which is it?
QUOTE Thanks
jt1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I'm assuming your second hard drive that you wish to copy the library to is formatted as either NTFS or FAT-32 since you wish to use it with your gaming PC?

If the second hard drive is formatted to NTFS you will be unable to write to it without a driver installed to OS X. If it's FAT-32 you should have no problem writing to it.

Which is it?
The second hard drive is NTFS.

Where can I find the OS X driver?

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The only driver we recommend is Paragon NTFS from Paragon Software. It's $19.95 for a license and well worth the price. Go here.
QUOTE Thanks
jt1968

Thanks for the link!

I'll buy it when I get home, and post my results here.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Wouldn't Home Sharing be a simpler (and free) solution?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« You Tube Downloader for Mac wont install in Mac book Pro | change screenshot file name »