New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

change screenshot file name

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drewapple

drewapple is on a distinguished road

how do I change the screenshot file name back to the date & time? im on mac os 10.4.7
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Moved your post to it's own thread.

Most folks will not figure out they need to start reading at the last post of a 2 page long 7+ year old thread.

To rename a file, any file, highlight it, press enter, type in the new name, press enter again when you'e done.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
drewapple

thanks but thats not what I meant. when you press comand+shift +3 it takes a screenshot. IT also automaticly names it Screen Capture 1 then the naxt one is Screen Capture 2.

My moms mac names the screenshot according to the date & time the shot was taken. Im wondering how can my mac os 10.4 do the same thing.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Your mom's Mac is using the default settings. Yours would have been changed by someone via terminal or some 3rd party utility.

edit:
Well maybe not - I can't remember back as far as the 10.4 default.

If you read the previous post, scratch that - because I have no clue if it would be the same for 10.4 as 10.6.

-------------------

If yours is an Intel Mac, you could upgrade it to 10.6 and should.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Open Terminal in Applications>Utilities and copy and paste this in
Code:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture name "Screen Capture"
hit return then copy and paste this in
Code:
killall SystemUIServer
and hit return and then close Terminal and you should be right to go.

Edit : And if the screenshot is in .jpeg or .png and you want to change it to the other, this can also be done via Terminal by copy and pasting this in
Code:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type png
and then hit return then
Code:
killall SystemUIServer
return. You change out the png to jpeg, tiff or what ever you want.

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

TattooedMac, I think that's the reverse of what the OP wanted. He's getting "Screen Capture x" wants date/time. I don't go as far back as 10.4 myself, so I don't know how to set it up that way.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
TattooedMac, I think that's the reverse of what the OP wanted. He's getting "Screen Capture x" wants date/time. I don't go as far back as 10.4 myself, so I don't know how to set it up that way.
I just tried it on my system via Terminal and i got Screenshot 2013-10-12 08.51.36.jpg and even changed it to jpeg so it does work . . .

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
drewapple

thanks for your replies. I tried what "tattooedmac" sugested and it just names it "Screen Capture 1" then the next one is "Screen Capture 2"

I wonder if it is a mac os 10.4 issue. I dont think why it should. and MacInWin i have tryed to find os 10.6 but I cant find it.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewapple View Post
thanks for your replies. I tried what "tattooedmac" sugested and it just names it "Screen Capture 1" then the next one is "Screen Capture 2"

I wonder if it is a mac os 10.4 issue. I dont think why it should. and MacInWin i have tryed to find os 10.6 but I cant find it.
Im starting to think it is now a 10.4 issue. As i said, i ran the command through Terminal, and i got what is above in bold. I have just done some experimenting in Terminal and i cant seem to change what comes out the other end, the way i want with Dates and time using %e %b %Y sort of thing.
Looks like for now, do as bobtomay said and just enter the date/time yourself ??

EDIT : Have a read of this article as there are some 3rd party Apps that can do what you want.
And 2nd, how comfortable are you using Terminal ?/ As i think i have found another way, but it requires some Terminal knowledge as well as editing some System Files to achieve what you want Dangerous stuff if your not confident . . . . . Like Reverse Engineering THIS

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
drewapple

O god That is very tedious to name them manually. There's got to be a way.. ugggg.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Read my above post ^^^ Written while you were writing yours

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
O god That is very tedious to name them manually. There's got to be a way.. ugggg.
It beats digging a 6 foot deep ditch...in the desert...in the middle of Summer...with no water!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
drewapple

I'll check it out. and pigoo3 thats debatable.... it depends who you digging it for...LOL..
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
MacInWin i have tryed to find os 10.6 but I cant find it.
Have you "tryed" calling Apple and ordering it for $20?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Or just order it online from Apple - here.

"Assuming" you have a backup, you might be willing to give this hint a try - same link TM has above.
That hint was for Snow Leopard (which introduced the time stamp naming of screen shots) and how to go back to the previous "Screen Capture 1" format.
You might try that in reverse.
Of course it may totally screw it up - I don't know as I don't have any bootable Tiger drives around to test it.

Although, if you have an Intel Mac, you really should get upgraded to Snow Leopard at a minimum.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Copying iTunes library from one external HD to another external HD..... | How do you stop Safari zooming in? »