New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

converting iMovie movie into AVCHD file

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

debmark

debmark is on a distinguished road

I have made a movie in iMovie and need to convert it into an AVCHD file to play on a Panasonic HDD recorder. How do I do this and what is a good converter software that will enable me to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You're the first person who's ever asked about converting TO avchd. I don't know of anything on the Mac that will do that.

Maybe the HDD recorder will accept some other formats?
QUOTE Thanks
debmark

Thanks I know it seems nobody else has this problem. We have tried other formats e.g. AVI and Mov, mp4, but it keeps saying it can't find the file. The original footage was recorded on AVCHD on a Panasonic camcorder, but it was stolen. We had saved the footage however on our computer, but comes up as a MTS file. We converted that to work in iMovie and then tried the different formats mentioned.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Can you give us any information about the recorder (such as model number)? I think there are several models of this device and the video formats supported may vary.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
debmark

The model number is DMR-PWT500.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I'm still trying to pin this hypothesis down so treat this as strictly a guess. That player seems to support streaming AVCHD, WMV, DivX, JPEG, MP3 and WMA on your PC. It looks like files are stored on the drive in AVCHD format. If you haven't tried it already try either WMV or AVCHD.

QUOTE Thanks
debmark

We have managed to burn the video to DVD-video using the Burn program and it played in the recorder, but the quality was a bit fuzzy. Then tried with DivX but it was worse quality.
QUOTE Thanks
debmark

Thanks for your input Slydude and giving my problem consideration. I think I may have solved it. I downloaded the Wondershare DVD creator and it seems to have worked without loss of quality.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Glad you got that sorted. Afraid I misunderstood your goal a bit. I thought you were looking to put the files back onto the unit.

QUOTE Thanks
Buc021

Buc021 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmark View Post
Thanks for your input Slydude and giving my problem consideration. I think I may have solved it. I downloaded the Wondershare DVD creator and it seems to have worked without loss of quality.

Google
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Setting up email on imac | Mac and Android »