New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Google Chrome causes slow sleep MacBook Pro (Mountain Lion O/S)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ginobean

ginobean is on a distinguished road

When I have an instance of Google Chrome active/running on my MacBook Pro (O/S Mountain Lion),
it seems to take about a minute, from the time I close my laptop to the time that it actually goes to sleep (indicator slowly blinks in a waxing/waning manner).

I did a 'pmset -g log' to find out what was going on and found this:
0/2/13 10:14:08 AM EDT Sleep Clamshell Sleep Sleep: Using BATT (Charge:99%) 17 secs
10/2/13 10:14:08 AM EDT Timedout Kernel: Response from Google Chrome He timed out 30000 ms
10/2/13 10:14:08 AM EDT Timedout Kernel: Response from Google Chrome He timed out 30000 ms

Next, I did a second test where I exited 'Google Chrome' using Command-Q and then tried the sleep test again. This time, it took well under 10 seconds for it to go to sleep.

By the way, my pmset -g settings are:

Active Profiles:
Battery Power -1*
AC Power -1
Currently in use:
halfdim 1
sms 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
Hibernate Free Ratio 5
disksleep 10
sleep 0
hibernatemode 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 2
acwake 0
lidwake 1
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You're correct. I just tested this with my iMac running Chrome right here in our forums. Pressing "sleep" caused a considerable delay before the machine went into full sleep mode and was able to be woken up. Must be a Chrome thing because it doesn't happen with Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
juliesaurus

juliesaurus is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue. After running a pmset command in my terminal, I realized Google Chrome was causing timeouts all over the place. After quitting chrome, I was able to put my macbook air to sleep in about 2 seconds (compared to 30s with Chrome running).

Any ideas on how to fix this? Not wanting to switch to a different browser.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Any ideas on how to fix this? Not wanting to switch to a different browser.
The answer is obvious.... just shut Chrome down before putting your Mac to sleep. Not that much of an inconvenience is it? (That's what I do and I use Chrome all the time.)
QUOTE Thanks
juliesaurus

Yes, of course that's the obvious fix. But I don't want to have to quit and loose all of my open pages in Chrome every time I put my computer to sleep. I'm constantly working with multiple tabs open in Chrome, and it would be nice to not have to re-load them every time I wake up my mac.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I understand. It's a PITA to have to shut down a bunch of tabs first and then re-open everything, but right now you have no other choice. Part of the problem is that Chrome for OS X is still 32 bit while FF and Safari are fully 64 bit.

Give this free app a try: It's called "SmartSleep". It doesn't help me because I have an iMac but it does work well for portable Macs.

If that doesn't help, the only other suggestion is to switch browsers. I know you stated you would rather not, but why don't you give Firefox a try? Firefox will import all your bookmarks from Chrome and as far as I can tell, it's just as fast as Chrome.
QUOTE Thanks
juliesaurus

Thanks for the tips! I'll give that app a try. And (reluctantly) switch to Safari and Firefox for now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari Not Playing YouTube Videos | iCloud Chrome bookmark sync - confused/problems »