New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

inherited imac defeating me

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kurgen

kurgen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: late 2006 17" imac, iphone 3gs 16GB, ipod video 30GB, iphone 4 16GB, ipod touch gen4

Hi all,
Please help a mac newbie out, I have inherited an imac, model number a1208, which has only one operating system installed (windows 7) which is unbootable and is definitely a software issue, I have tried restoring or repairing the installation, neither of which work, presumably because of how it is installed on an imac and what I really want to do is put it back to running mac osx so it is "as nature intended", I also do not have a recovery disk or installation cd of any version of mac os.

Is there any hope for me? I am a long time pc user , builder, modder, but totally newbie with a mac

Please help if you can, thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Since it is an older Mac, I would suggest buying OS 10.6 Snow Leopard disc from Apple...$20. Install the OS and the dl the Combo Updater (<<important) from Apple. This should get you started.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

My Mactracker identifies your machine as a late 17" 2006 iMac. In order to restore Mac OS X on that machine you'll need to do two things:

1. Buy a Snow Leopard install DVD from Apple (OS X 10.6.X) ($19.99) in order to install OS X.

2. Before using the DVD to install, you'll need reset the NVRAM - PRAM on that machine first. Follow the directions to do that from here.

3. Boot the machine with the Snow Leopard DVD, accept the language and license. Instead of installing, go to the top menu "Utilities", and select "Disk Utility". Use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive, format it as Mac OS X Journaled File System.

4. After that, install Snow Leopard. Once Snow Leopard is installed, go to software update and bring Snow Leopard up to date.

That should do it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Also hold down the C key with the Snow Leopard DVD in the drive so it will boot from the DVD. Right after the start up sound, hold C and keep it down.

Do everything above first.
QUOTE Thanks
kurgen

Mac Specs: late 2006 17" imac, iphone 3gs 16GB, ipod video 30GB, iphone 4 16GB, ipod touch gen4

Thankyou all very much off to order snow leopard now and I will update you how I get on expect to see me all over this forum asking dilly questions once I get it up and running (maybe before) :-/
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

I like dilly questions.

I should have been more detailed in my earlier post...but I saw where you had been a long time PC user, builder, and modder.
QUOTE Thanks
kurgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
I like dilly questions.

I should have been more detailed in my earlier post...but I saw where you had been a long time PC user, builder, and modder.
Oh, apparently so do I, must be a combo of chunky fingers and an android keyboard, cant wait to pose my first dilly question!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Monitors Shutting Off!!! | Swapping one iMac for another one »