New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iCloud, Dropbox, Old Data, Time Machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

michelangelo

michelangelo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro, OS 10.9.4, iMac, OS 10.9.4, iPhone iOS 10.7.2, iPad iOS 10.7.2

This is following, in a sense, on the iCloud backups vs Time Machine thread. Different, nevertheless.

Being a recent switcher from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion on two separate macs, one of them (iMac) being mostly used by my wife, I am discovering iCloud and wonder how better to use it in combination with my free Dropbox account. Looking at the root of my quite old machine (over 24 years old, starting with my Macintosh SE), I see:
  • Desktop: 69 Mo;
  • Documents: 63 Go (50 Go filed by calendar year and 13 Go not filed by year);
  • Dropbox: 3.8 Go (mainly shared folders, with others or my office Windows computer);
  • Other folders (Images, Music, Videos, etc are immaterial).

Also, as the previous poster, I am a Time Machine addict (based on a well oiled Time Capsule dedicated to two macs).

63 Go, the size of the Documents folder, far too big for iCloud free storage, is therefore not mirrored on iCloud yet.

As the permanent part of my Documents Folder is not so big (about 15 Go), adding to it the last three years (about 20 Go) would amount to about 40 Go "current" data. The rest being "old" data, not so necessary to retrieve from the other machine (or an hypothetical iphone or ipad).

Should I:
  1. Buy iCloud capacity;
  2. Buy Dropbox capacity;
  3. Buy nothing and create another folder (Old Data) sitting on the MacBookPro and simply saved to the Time Capsule ?

How best to prepare for the future ?

Any better idea ?

TIA

-- Michelangelo
http://abeille-cyclotourisme.fr/
MacBookPro, OS 10.9.4, iMac, OS 10.9.4, iPhone iOS 7.1.2, iPad iOS 7.1.2, plenty of other useful stuff
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Buy a 1 Tb or larger external HD, back up your (very) old files to that and delete them from your computer. I am assuming that when you write 16 Go, you mean 16 Gb ( 16 gigabytes). iCloud and Dropbox are great for sharing info across multiple devices and users but it is not a reliable archive and it costs money.
I tell everybody the same thing, get a BIG external HD, clone your computer so you can boot from your portable HD (in case of a major crash) or to restore to a new computer when required and save all the old files you don't use to an archive of your own design. This way if your computer crashes, and it will sooner or later you can continue working with your files almost immediately.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Bottom line, how long does it take to download a Tb of data from iCloud? Answer; about a week.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Go=Gigaoctet, equivalent to Gb. Go is a French construct. An Octet is 8 bits, just like a byte. The defenders of the French language refused to allow "byte" to enter the language, hence Go. You see it on packaging meant for sale in both the US and Canada, as well as France.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burning DVDs | Very Fresh Newbie »