New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Turn Macbook screen off

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

goodguy

goodguy is on a distinguished road

I have connected my new Macbook to an external screen, however, when I turn off the native screen, the external screen also turns off.
I have used the Terminal option, the Hot Corners - Put Screen to Sleep option, the Control-Shift-Eject option and also reducing the lighting settings. If I close the screen, the external one also shuts down.
Is there a way to turn off the display without affecting the external screen?
Note: I am using the native keyboard, not an external one.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Use "Clamshell Mode":

How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
goodguy

Thank you. I was wondering if there is a way of doing it without having to use an external keyboard!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodguy View Post
Thank you. I was wondering if there is a way of doing it without having to use an external keyboard!
The only thing I can think of to do things the way you describe...

- MacBook connected to external monitor
- use MacBook keyboard
- turn off MacBook display & only use external monitor

...is to turn the MacBook's display brightness all the way down (MacBook's display will go dark).

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
goodguy

Thanks, again; as I stated initially, yes, I tried that, but I am looking for a solution without the power drain of a running screen and the resultant overheating!
<Sigh> Seems it just cannot be done on my terms, so I better get myself an extra keyboard!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
...I am looking for a solution without the power drain of a running screen and the resultant overheating!
Firstly...I sure hope you're not trying to run your MacBook off it's battery while attached to an external monitor!

Also, if the MacBook is plugged in...the amount of energy needed to run the builtin display while using an external monitor is very very very small. Turn down the builtin display's brightness all the way down (till dark)...greatly reduces things further.

Secondly...having the MacBook's display operating does not cause or prevent any sort of "overheating". Heat generated by the MacBook is TOTALLY dependent on how hard the computers cpu and gpu are being utilized. NOT whether the builtin display is operating or not.

Quote:
<Sigh> Seems it just cannot be done on my terms, so I better get myself an extra keyboard!
Maybe you have a special situation that you need to operate things this way. Otherwise...it's sort of unusual to want to use a Macintosh laptop with an external display, no builtin display, and want to use the builtin keyboard.

Usually when folks want to use just an external monitor with their laptop...they close up the laptop (clamshell mode with external keyboard attached)...get it out of the way (such as a vertical orientation)...and they are good to go.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
goodguy

Thanks for all your contributions and helpful suggestions. Much appreciated by a newbie.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Glad to help.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Firstly...I sure hope you're not trying to run your MacBook off it's battery while attached to an external monitor!
This is the second time I've seen this, and it's still a very odd thing to say (IMO). What difference does it make? The monitor is plugged into its own power, it's drawing nothing from the battery of the computer. Depending on what you're doing, the graphics card may have to work a bit harder which would produce a minor battery hit, but I run my MacBook Pro on battery attached to projectors or other monitors all the time (for presentations) and haven't noticed any significant difference in battery performance.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
This is the second time I've seen this, and it's still a very odd thing to say (IMO). What difference does it make? The monitor is plugged into its own power, it's drawing nothing from the battery of the computer. Depending on what you're doing, the graphics card may have to work a bit harder which would produce a minor battery hit, but I run my MacBook Pro on battery attached to projectors or other monitors all the time (for presentations) and haven't noticed any significant difference in battery performance.
You're not looking at things from the same perspective as I am...that's why it may seem confusing!

The OP mentioned being concerned about "power drain" in post #5. So my point was (if concerned about power drain)...if someone is close enough to an electrical outlet to plug an external monitor into...then why not plug the MacBook into the electrical outlet as well.

Then there are no power drain concerns of any sort.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Ah. Okay, thanks for clearing that up, Nick. Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Ah. Okay, thanks for clearing that up, Nick. Cheers!
The OP had a bit of an unusual request. Hopefully everything is good with them

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCloud backups vs. Time Machine? | iPhoto burning issues »