New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Which version of Windows 7 to load on new MacBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Braveheartmn16

Braveheartmn16 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 09/2013 MacBook Pro 13", 2.9 GHz Dual Core i7, 8GB 1600 Mhz RAM, 1TB ATA, iPad 2, iPhone 5, 2 iPods

Getting my new MacBook 13" tomorrow and will need to load Windows 7 so that I can run QuickBooks Pro Plus 2013.

Which of the many versions Windows 7 should I get?

Should I load it on Parallels?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Buy the Windows 7 x 64 bit Home version. You don't need the more expensive versions of Windows 7 unless you have to access a Windows domain or require the language packs.

Also, instead of Parallels, download the free VirtualBox from Oracle and run Windows 7 as a VM.
QUOTE Thanks
Braveheartmn16

Braveheartmn16 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 09/2013 MacBook Pro 13", 2.9 GHz Dual Core i7, 8GB 1600 Mhz RAM, 1TB ATA, iPad 2, iPhone 5, 2 iPods

are there a lot of instructions with the Oracle product? I am a neophyte on Mac
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

The help file that comes with VB is pretty good and there is also a free forum for any other questions. And of course you can always ask here in our forums.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

If you're a neophyte on Mac, may I respectfully suggest you put off installing Windows and learn the Mac first?

You know your situation better than I do, of course, so you do what you think is best -- but it's been my experience with training people on the Mac that they "force" themselves to work in the Mac environment and not use the ability to run Windows as a "crutch" to keep them in the "bad" habits they learned with that OS. Also cuts down on the frustrating phenomenon of "WindowsThink," where users get annoyed because the Mac doesn't "work like" what they're used to or they can't figure out how to do what they want on the Mac because it's not identical to the (usually more complex) Windows way of doing it.

See my signature for a useful link on this topic..
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveheartmn16 View Post

Which of the many versions Windows 7 should I get?

Should I load it on Parallels?
Intuit makes Quickbooks for Mac so the answer to those questions is, NONE and NO. Read chas_m's essay as he suggested, use your Mac for a month or two, then I'd almost be willing to bet that you'll be more than willing to bite the bullet and buy QB for Mac, rather than taint your brand new MacBook with ANYthing from Microsoft! Just cut the cord, now, and don't look back. You'll be glad you did...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

While I agree for the most part of what chas_m suggested, running the Mac version of Intuit QuickBooks is not the same as running the Windows Pro version. Take a look at what the reviewers say about the Mac version and more importantly, those who have actually used the Mac product. The reviews are dismal. Intuit has long treated Mac users as step children.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

I haven't seen any reviews on the just-announced 2014 version of QuickBooks for Mac, but yes Intuit has a pretty bad record with Mac users. Still, they do appear to be trying to reform. I suggest giving the new version a trial run, and if it doesn't meet your needs then you certainly have a very legit reason to need to run Windows or at least CrossOver on your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

Haven't used any Intuit products since moving to Japan and switching to Mac, but I make it a point to boycott software makers who shun Mac or who make substandard software for Mac. There are enough Mac users now, that there is just no excuse for it anymore and it downright pisses me off! It's like their way of saying, "you don't wanna use Windows? Tough!". That's fine. If they don't want my business, f*** them, too! There's always more than one way to skin a cat...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« intel.zip.x | Macbook Desktop icons arranging themselves from Browser? »