New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to tell if a mac is new or used

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gprego

gprego is on a distinguished road

I'm from Uruguay (South America) and I want to buy a mac (macBook Pro retina) from a acquaintance of mine. It's supposed to be new in box, but the box is not sealed. He brought it from USA and he had to open the box for migrations issues.
Is there any way to be sure if the mac is new or used?
I really need to know that before buying the mac.
Thanks
gprego
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If the box is no longer sealed, you can have your acquaintance give you the serial number, learn about where that is from here. Once you have the serial number, visit the warranty site and enter it there to confirm the year/model of the rMBP. If it's new, then it will tell you that and also that you have a valid 1 year of AppleCare and so on.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
gprego

gprego is on a distinguished road

Raz0rEdge: thanks for your reply.
I enter the serial number, and it says "MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)" wich is ok.
But then it says:
- - - -
Please validate your product's purchase date.
Apple is unable to provide information about your service coverage. Please sign in with your Apple ID and provide your product's date of purchase so that we can display your coverage information.
- - - -

I currently don't have an apple id, but my father does. Can I use that apple ID and provide the date of purchase?
Thanks again
gpergo
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprego View Post
I'm from Uruguay (South America) and I want to buy a mac (macBook Pro retina) from a acquaintance of mine. It's supposed to be new in box, but the box is not sealed. He brought it from USA and he had to open the box for migrations issues.
Is there any way to be sure if the mac is new or used?
I really need to know that before buying the mac.
Thanks
gprego
Easy answer. If the box has been opened...it's used.

Beyond this it's really next to impossible to say "how used" a computer is...other than to verify that it is the correct model (not an older model being sold as a newer model)...so verify the specs for the model you are buying.

With a laptop computer you can also check on the number of battery cycles on it. This isn't a perfect indicator of "how used" a laptop can be...but it is something to check.

To check:

- Apple Menu
- About this Mac
- More Info
- System Report
- click on "Power"

Under the Battery info...look for the "Cycle" count. If this computer is basically brand new "out of box"...the battery cycle count should be very very low...something like less than 5. But it should be even less...since each battery cycle is something like at least 5-7 hours of computer use each.

But like I said...this is not a perfect indication of how much use this computer has seen. Since if the computer has always been plugged into the electricity...then it would not accumulate battery cycles.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprego View Post
Raz0rEdge: thanks for your reply.
I enter the serial number, and it says "MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)" wich is ok.
But then it says:
- - - -
Please validate your product's purchase date.
Apple is unable to provide information about your service coverage. Please sign in with your Apple ID and provide your product's date of purchase so that we can display your coverage information.
- - - -

I currently don't have an apple id, but my father does. Can I use that apple ID and provide the date of purchase?
Thanks again
gpergo
The purchase would be tied to the Apple ID of the person who bought it, i.e., your acquaintance and as such providing your Apple ID wouldn't do anything. Have them enter their Apple ID and send you a screenshot with the information.

Once you get that, I'd do everything that Nick suggests..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

PM me the S/N, I'll key into GSX for you. That will show me how many days warranty is left. If the MacBook Pro was bought from Apple the date shown will be accurate, if bought from a dealer less so. If it only shows 300 days warranty left it's obviously not new.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes movie question HD vs SD | screen saver in Mountain Lion »