New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Just switched back to Mac.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macgeek22

macgeek22 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5Ghz Core i5; 10GB 1600Mhz;500GBSSD;Intel 4000; OSX 10.8.5

Howdy ya'll, I just came back to Mac OSX after 4 years of running Windows. I had a PowerMac G5 and PowerBook G4 in 2008 and had a 08 Alum MacBook when I first went to college years ago, but because of my major I had bought a Lenovo Thinkpad T400 for school and that thing ran and ran and still runs just finally got sick and tired of the Core 2 Duo and Win 7. Just bought myself the '12 MBP and I'm quite impressed just like I was with the Powerbook and MacBook. OSX has changed a bit since leopard and Snow Leopard but I'm getting the hang of it again. I totally forgot how snappy OSX was. I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Now I'm drooling over an iMac.

2012 MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz Core i5,10GB DDR3 1600Mhz, 500GBSSD, Intel 4000, OSX 10.8.5
Best computer I have ever owned...
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I think you mean a 13 and welcome back.
QUOTE Thanks
macgeek22

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I think you mean a 13 and welcome back.
I meant a 2012 MBP. And yes it's a 13".

2012 MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz Core i5,10GB DDR3 1600Mhz, 500GBSSD, Intel 4000, OSX 10.8.5
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Welcome back. Hope you enjoy your new machine!
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

Welcome back and don't ever look back!

The Core 2 Duo is still an excellent chip. My 3yo iMac is powered by one and it still runs beautifully. Just goes to show what a waste of power and resources Windows is...
QUOTE Thanks
macgeek22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShane View Post
Welcome back and don't ever look back!

The Core 2 Duo is still an excellent chip. My 3yo iMac is powered by one and it still runs beautifully. Just goes to show what a waste of power and resources Windows is...
Yes it is still a great processor. Windows just really sucks. I'm now debating buying a 13" Air for my fiance.

QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

Do it! I was gonna get the the same thing for my wife, but she wanted the 11". I think she is regretting it and wishing she had the larger screen, but she doesn't want to hear, "I told you so" from me...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

My wife loves her 11" Air. I think women in particular really like the whole MBA concept, and why shouldn't they?
QUOTE Thanks
iTz inThezone

iTz inThezone has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD not retina xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek22 View Post
Howdy ya'll, I just came back to Mac OSX after 4 years of running Windows. I had a PowerMac G5 and PowerBook G4 in 2008 and had a 08 Alum MacBook when I first went to college years ago, but because of my major I had bought a Lenovo Thinkpad T400 for school and that thing ran and ran and still runs just finally got sick and tired of the Core 2 Duo and Win 7. Just bought myself the '12 MBP and I'm quite impressed just like I was with the Powerbook and MacBook. OSX has changed a bit since leopard and Snow Leopard but I'm getting the hang of it again. I totally forgot how snappy OSX was. I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Now I'm drooling over an iMac.

Yeah I got my first Mac over the summer. My Sony Vaio EA (a.k.a the one that shouldn't be talked about) was pretty much a toaster. I finally got the money and bought myself the MBP for college. It works great, and is hella fast. Im totally eyeballing the new Mac Pro, or even the Mac mini i7. I dont think I am going to be going back to windows anytime soon.
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz inThezone View Post
Yeah I got my first Mac over the summer. My Sony Vaio EA (a.k.a the one that shouldn't be talked about) was pretty much a toaster. I finally got the money and bought myself the MBP for college. It works great, and is hella fast. Im totally eyeballing the new Mac Pro, or even the Mac mini i7. I dont think I am going to be going back to windows anytime soon.
My first laptop was a Vaio. It was running 98 when I got it and I considered it a pretty good machine. It was still working, albeit slow, when I got rid of it...

Huge difference between the Mac Mini and Mac Pro. The new Pro is some purty SERIOUS hardware for a college student, and will not come cheap. Unless you are studying to be a geneticist or a film editor or are a total hardcore gamehead, you just won't need that much power, bro. Your typical college projects like writing papers or doing PPT presentations would be like swatting a fly with a friggin' hydrogen bomb...
QUOTE Thanks
macgeek22

Quote:
My first laptop was a Vaio. It was running 98 when I got it and I considered it a pretty good machine. It was still working, albeit slow, when I got rid of it...

Huge difference between the Mac Mini and Mac Pro. The new Pro is some purty SERIOUS hardware for a college student, and will not come cheap. Unless you are studying to be a geneticist or a film editor or are a total hardcore gamehead, you just won't need that much power, bro. Your typical college projects like writing papers or doing PPT presentations would be like swatting a fly with a friggin' hydrogen bomb...
Hahaha love than analogy.

QUOTE Thanks
MasterShake

MasterShake is on a distinguished road

Welcome back. I love my mac mini that I got early this year. Its my first mac ever. I remember using the ibooks back in grade school. Those where really cool I wish apple would bring back the clear colors but I don't see that happening soon. I had a dell laptop that had windows vista on it that I got for christmas once. It was okay for the time but It just wasn't doing it. I was happy I got my mac mini. Its probably the fastest computer in the house lol.

Samsung Galaxy s4 4.4.2, Mac mini late 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

I agree with everyone else here the 13 inch MacBook Air is a pretty awesome machine I'm sure your fiancee would love it, also it's really light and battery life is pretty impressive at 12 hrs. Only draw back I can see is processor speed 1.7 GHz as compared to 2.5GHz on the PowerBook but reports say that the solid state HD is so fast that you'd hardly notice the difference. Check this out; macbook air vs macbook pro 13"? - Apple Store (U.S.)
Cheers

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
iTz inThezone

iTz inThezone has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD not retina xD

Quote:

I totally understand what you mean. The only reason I am thinking about the new Mac Pro is because I am a Video Editor, and I need a powerful rig to edit and render videos. I am also In desperate need of a machine that can edit high quality footage quickly, like 2.7k and 4k. Getting that expensive work of machinery, just for writing lab reports and papers, would be absolutely absurd. Nice analogy BTW.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I think every part of you except your wallet is going to be super-happy with the new Mac Pro when it comes out ... which should happen pretty soon now ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to capitalize first letter in a mail sentence automatically? | imac does not detect external vga display »