New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

screen saver in Mountain Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

waltercoyte

waltercoyte is on a distinguished road

I no longer have an iPhoto option in Screen Saver in System Preferences. I used to have this option but it disappeared. Is there a way I can get it back? The instructions say to look under Options, but all I have there is a "Folder" option, not an iPhoto option.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Just to be clear screensaver or wallpaper?
If you no longer have iPhoto in Folders there will be a Pictures Folder and thats where photos go if you do not have iPhoto.
Did you have iPhoto at one time on the computer you are using now?
QUOTE Thanks
waltercoyte

Wall Paper is fine. It's just the Screen Saver that suddenly quit offering iPhoto as a choice. When I go to "Source" I get only 4 options, like Nat'l Geographic, and a "Folder" option. I cannot get to my iPhoto library from this Folder. My iPhoto version is 8.1.2. I'm running 10.8.5 of OSX. I was getting my iPhoto on my Screen Saver until today.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

i use iPhoto version 9.4.3 so there may be some difference using that in combination with 10.8.5.
Was this working at all with 10.8.5 or did you lose it after that since that update has only been out 2 days.
QUOTE Thanks
waltercoyte

It worked fine for several months. I did just install Microsoft Office for MAC 2011 but that shouldn't make a difference. Right? I miss my personal slide show screen saver!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

All of the options you're seeing in the screensaver modules draw from your iPhoto collection, if you like. See the picture below:

Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 4.54.49 PM.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
waltercoyte

I do not get the "Photo Library" choice, only the "Choose Folder" choice. Nor do I get the choices above the "Default "Collections".
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What version of iPhoto is installed? I have here 10.8.5 and latest iPhoto and this is what I see:

Same as Chas's screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 10.35.16 PM.png (225.1 KB, 32 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

It's possible that the latest update to Mountain Lion drops support for certain older versions of iPhoto. The current version is 9.4.3 but ISTR that they moved iPhoto '11 to the dual Aperture/iPhoto standard format a few revisions back. Still if you're using iPhoto '11 it would make sense to update it to the latest version.

Assuming that isn't the problem, have you moved the iPhoto Library file or *tampered with it in any way*?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Here is the iPhoto installed here:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 1.05.08 AM.png (144.5 KB, 32 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone5s

Reading this thread I checked out my screen saver options, having recently updated iPhoto.
I found that my screen saver options button is greyed out as shown ...

Now whether this is related or not, but concurrent with my update my screen no longer goes to sleep. I can logout in an evening and next morning my login screen is large as life whereas normally it would be blank until I press a key or click mouse.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 14.11.06.png (153.1 KB, 26 views)

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Screen Saver Options is automatically grayed out if you selected Random ,Shell and Arabesque from the left pane if you want your photos you need to select from slideshow so double check your settings.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone5s

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Screen Saver Options is automatically grayed out if you selected Random ,Shell and Arabesque from the left pane if you want your photos you need to select from slideshow so double check your settings.
Ah! Many thanks for this.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to tell if a mac is new or used | Slow Mini Mac »