New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Bought my first Mac!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

devon1287

devon1287 is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone,
I just bought my first Macbook Pro. With the new ones coming out I had enough coupons to get an additional $130 off of the $1049.99 price tag. I have been a Ubuntu user since 2008 and felt like Ubuntu is not maturing as fast as I wanted (still think it is a good OS) so I am going to be giving OS X a try and I am enjoying the hardware so fare. Just figure I would say hello.
QUOTE Thanks
mesut

mesut will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBA mid-2013

Hi. Another Mac newbie here.

I found that Ubuntu (at least the latest versions) got many UI improvements from Mac (or the reverse) so you won't have much difficulty.

Try to find and read some "Migration from Windows to Mac" to find out more about the differences between Mac and your old OS. I say Windows, because this is what most people did/do and user interface and keyboard and mouse traditions are more or less same in Windows and Linux. Like right click, enter to open an app etc.

Good luck
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Hello and welcome to the forum. You will find these folks to be a vast wealth of knowledge and if they don't have an answer, they will point you in the right direction to find your answer or solution.
The forumites have made my transition to Mac (almost 3 years ago to the date!) fun and easy.
QUOTE Thanks
devon1287

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I have noticed with Ubuntu and many other distro's based on Ubuntu use a lot of design features of OS X. So the transition has been relatively been painless.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's because Linux is a derivative of Unix and so is Mac OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
devon1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
That's because Linux is a derivative of Unix and so is Mac OS X.
Well it is because of Linux I came to OS X, I was actually very anti apple prior to 2008 when I was still a Windows user. Then I encountered Vista but with a new born could not afford a Mac and a buddy introduced me to Ubuntu. I used that till now when I decided I wanted something Unix with better native support for external devices and a more stable polished operating system.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon1287 View Post
...I was actually very anti apple prior to 2008 when I was still a Windows user.
Yes...we have lots of members here who were once in that "boat". Now they've gotten older, wiser, and more open-minded!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes...we have lots of members here who were once in that "boat".
And the name of that boat is the Titanic! (Not that we are anti Windows here......)
QUOTE Thanks
devon1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
And the name of that boat is the Titanic! (Not that we are anti Windows here......)
Well for me prior to 2008 I did not know a lot about Unix, so I just though it was just another operating system with over priced hardware. Now I have a better understanding of the power of Unix and after buying a Mac I see that there is a difference in the hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Unix has been around for a long time and in its pure native form is ugly but very unbreakable and powerful. It was supposedly invented and put together by the software engineers at the old AT&T Bell labs back when Ma Bell owned all the phone lines in the US.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook screen | Can someone explain the Memory usage to me »