New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Offline Installation of OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

m4a1

m4a1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i5,500Gb,8Gb

Hi,

Need Help again,here's the current scenario:

Few days back I sold my MBP.It was on 10.7.2 before I handed to the buyer.To delete my all data,I did Command +D and in Disk utility,I did ERASE. All data was deleted.
Now the problem is download doesn't complete when trying to install fresh copy of os x.
I want to know if I can help the buyer by making bootable USB disk.

I have following 2 system with OS X running:
1.MBP 10.8.2
2.MBP 10.7

The buyer doesn't want to spend anything to purchase a fresh copy of the os x.

Please suggest.
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

I don't think OS 10.7 is available by download anymore. You may be able to call Apple and get it on a flash drive. I am not sure about that.
Personally, I don't think $20 is too much to pay for his or her own license to Mac OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
m4a1

^ $20 is for license.I would have paid for license,if license alone is main problem.
My main concern is offline installation.
When the MBP starts without any OS it does ask for installation of OS 10.7,but the download size is quite heavy (about 4.7Gb).He tried for 2-3 times but it was interrupted by disconnection of internet.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1 View Post
^ $20 is for license.I would have paid for license,if license alone is main problem.
My main concern is offline installation.
When the MBP starts without any OS it does ask for installation of OS 10.7,but the download size is quite heavy (about 4.7Gb).He tried for 2-3 times but it was interrupted by disconnection of internet.
You need to create your own bootable disk or USB stick after downloading (BEFORE any installing). If you do not know how to do this...do an internet search...there are probably 100's of articles on how to do it.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Then he needs to go somewhere that has a steady connection. Perhaps a public library, Starbucks, or even an Apple Store. A download of 4.7GB should take about 20 to 30 minutes in one of those places.
QUOTE Thanks
m4a1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
there are probably 100's of articles on how to do it.

- Nick
This is the real problem.All the 100's of articles state different things.I would be thankful,if somebody can pm me correct and tested way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Then he needs to go somewhere that has a steady connection. Perhaps a public library, Starbucks, or even an Apple Store. A download of 4.7GB should take about 20 to 30 minutes in one of those places.
I have updated my location.There's no such place I know around my place where I can get such speed.
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

How about your friend - "the buyer"? . . . can "he" find a location faster wireless internet connection? You are not consistent among your posts.

Also, do an Advanced Search this forum...there are specific, detailed instructions on how to burn a .dmg of a downloaded Mac OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
m4a1

@Dogbreath: He can't find any such location.What make you feel that I am inconsistent among my posts ?
I read the rules before joining this forum and did an advance search but couldn't find any solution from any of the thread.
Again my main problem is not burning .dmg,but where to download OS x w and to restore the mac offline.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Let me find my tutorials and I will Link you to them. Hang in there. I have posted it here before. Will give you the URL. just be patient.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1 View Post
This is the real problem.All the 100's of articles state different things.I would be thankful,if somebody can pm me correct and tested way.
I have not found this to be the situation.

Here is a procedure prepared by MacWorld. How much more trusted a procedure can there be...than one from MacWorld??:

How to make a bootable Mountain Lion install drive | Macworld

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Have you attempted downloading it from either of the 2 Macs you have that are still up and running?

10.7 is available for download to any Apple ID that has already purchased it and will be shown in the Purchases section of the App Store.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

The problem is Lion and Mountain lion are tied to one's Apple ID and not to the computer. Different altogether to the days when install discs came when new with each computer. Did the MBP originally come with Snow Leopard by chance which you could pass on to the buyer? He can install that and download his own version of ML after establishing an Apple ID and lodging credit card details.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
m4a1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I have not found this to be the situation.

Here is a procedure prepared by MacWorld. How much more trusted a procedure can there be...than one from MacWorld??:

How to make a bootable Mountain Lion install drive | Macworld

- Nick
Thank You,will try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Have you attempted downloading it from either of the 2 Macs you have that are still up and running?

10.7 is available for download to any Apple ID that has already purchased it and will be shown in the Purchases section of the App Store.
Both the running Mac came with the newer version of OS.I think,it would be illegal to install 10.8 on a system that has a license of 10.7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
The problem is Lion and Mountain lion are tied to one's Apple ID and not to the computer. Different altogether to the days when install discs came when new with each computer. Did the MBP originally come with Snow Leopard by chance which you could pass on to the buyer? He can install that and download his own version of ML after establishing an Apple ID and lodging credit card details.
MBP originally came with Lion and is not showing up in purchase section of the App Store.
Now after going through various reply and post here on mac forum I have decided to download an installer file from torrentz,follow the procedure posted by pigoo3 and send to the buyer.
Will it be illegal ? or Will it work properly ?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Confused. If it came with Mountain Lion there was no going back to Lion OS X.7. Or are we talking about a different MBP?

Well I guess it will be if the purchaser creates his/her own Apple ID and then purchases Mountain Lion or even Mavericks when it is released. Would not trust an illegal copy too far. When the purchaser goes to update it will probably ask for Apple ID. Suggest not providing your own ID.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
m4a1

I'm sorry,it came with Lion pre-installed 10.7.2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro A1226 Display | Old iMac needs wifi »