New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switching to a different mac,help required

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

m4a1

m4a1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i5,500Gb,8Gb

Hi,

I have a MBP late 2010 currently on 10.7.2.I am planning to upgrade to a new MBP and hence taken a complete backup of my data on an external drive using Time Machine Backup.Few questions before I switch and format data on old MBP,

1.Do time machine backup takes complete backup of everything in true sense ?
I mean all installed software and data ?

2.I have my emails configured on Mail and Outlook,will the time machine backup be able to restore all my emails to new mac ?

3.I have firefox as my default browser on old MBP and has browsing history enabled.
Will TMB,be able to restore it ?

Thank You
QUOTE Thanks
Poolman

Poolman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air

Save time machine as the backup but use the built in migration assistant to move all your data and settings over to the new laptop. How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac
QUOTE Thanks
m4a1

Thank You for the reply.I am planning to sell my macbook before I purchase a new one.In that case,it won't be possible for me to use Migration Assistant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
Save time machine as the backup but use the built in migration assistant to move all your data and settings over to the new laptop. How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1 View Post
1.Do time machine backup takes complete backup of everything in true sense ?
I mean all installed software and data ?
Yes.

Quote:
2.I have my emails configured on Mail and Outlook,will the time machine backup be able to restore all my emails to new mac ?
Mail, yes. Outlook should be fine but sometimes MS Office needs to be reinstalled from disk. The mails themselves that are stored locally on your (old) computer will be preserved and copied to the new one.

Quote:
3.I have firefox as my default browser on old MBP and has browsing history enabled.
Will TMB,be able to restore it ?
See answer #1

In short, you can use Migration Assistant to transfer everything from your old to new MBP, or use Migration Assistant to transfer from your TM backup if the actual old MBP is no longer with you. Either way should be pretty painless *provided* you do the Migration Assistant thing during the startup. DON'T create a new account on the MBP and *then* do Migration Assistant later, do it during the initial setup process.

As I mentioned, Outlook may need to be reactivated or possibly even reinstalled, but that's MS for you. It's possible that it will "just work" like its supposed to.

Don't forget to deactivate the old computer from your iTunes account.
QUOTE Thanks
m4a1

^I have lost installation disk of MS office,is it possible to re-install without them,if in case there's some problem in re-installation of Office ?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Well part one all depends. Still got the activation code for Office 2011 or 2008? If so you can download a trial version of Office and use your code. If not, then no.

Even with Migration Assistant Office does not transfer over well usually requiring re-activation.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
m4a1

Thank You everyone for the help.
I sold my MBP and upgraded to another MBP.There was no problem in installing even a single software.
Time machine made my new MBP same as older one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Import Bookmarks | Remote syncing iPad to iMac. »