New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Is this used Macbook Pro worth the price?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thatgangsta131

Thatgangsta131 is on a distinguished road

So, right now, I'm using a mid-2012 Macbook Pro, 13" with a 2.9 processor and 8 gigs of ram.

The screen size is killing me. For what I use my laptop for it's very restricting, so I was looking into buying an older 17" model. The one I was looking into is from 2009. It comes with both a 500GB 7200rpm Hard Drive as well as a 750GB 7200rpm Hard Drive, 2.8 Ghz Intel Core, and 8 gigs of ram. It has an anti glare screen as well. According to the seller the laptop is in wonderful condition. The total for the laptop is $1,200.

Is this worth the price, or should I keep looking?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Why not just attach an external monitor to the laptop for use when you are home (or work, whatever)? Seems like a WAY cheaper option than the 17".

I don't know if the 17 is *worth* that much, but I can tell you I wouldn't pay $1,200 for nearly ANY computer from four years ago. Unless what you're doing is fairly basic in complexity (for example, writing), any computer near the END of its useful life cycle is not going to be a good investment for the future.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My initial response - $1200 for a 4 yr old notebook, for my money - unh unh - no - no way - not a gonna happen - no freaking way.

That's maybe just a tad on the high side in the world of used Macs - if you were buying it from a reputable Mac reseller that checks them out and offers a warranty. Should be cheaper from an individual. And if the battery hasn't been replaced yet, count on needing to do that sooner than later.

For a seller that paid $2500-$3000 for that computer plus upgrades, they probably feel like that's a big enough hit. For a buyer, it's just a losing bargain on a 4 yr old machine. Here's a company that buys and resells older Macs and their value of it - link.

I'd have to agree with chas - you can get a decent 24" monitor for $150-$250.
Dell's top of the line 24" ultrasharp is under $500.

If you need the larger monitor for traveling - at that point, it's really a matter of personal preference and whether that expenditure meets your budget and needs.
Buying from an individual, I'd be trying to get them down to $600-700.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgangsta131 View Post
According to the seller the laptop is in wonderful condition. The total for the laptop is $1,200.

Is this worth the price, or should I keep looking?
Not a good deal. If you can get the seller to go around $950...that would be a more fair price.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Thatgangsta131

Thatgangsta131 is on a distinguished road

I think I'm going to go with a monitor. Now to find one of those!

Thank you all for being so helpful, I appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgangsta131 View Post
I think I'm going to go with a monitor. Now to find one of those!
Definitely a great way to go & a less expensive solution. Your 2012 MacBook Pro has a faster cpu & faster graphics hardware than that 2009 MBP.

Finding a monitor is no problem at all. 22" monitors can be found for under $100...24" monitors not much more. If you want to save even more money...lots of fine monitors on Craig's List for even less.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Folder doesnt open | MS Office for Mac »