New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

VAR folder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ubeauty

ubeauty is on a distinguished road

After playing around with an app called Invisiblix (it makes hidden folders visible or invisible at will) a folder called "VAR" has appeared in my home folder. I understand that this folder is normally hidden but it is now visible at all times regardless of what I do in Invisiblix. How do I make it hidden again?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There should not be a var folder in your home directory.

My first question would be how did it get there?
Did you create an alias of the var folder which would be located in private/var at the root of the drive?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ubeauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Did you create an alias of the var folder which would be located in private/var at the root of the drive?
Not knowingly.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Is there an arrow on the folder?

Are you sure you're looking at your home folder?

Can you post a screen shot?

What Mac and version of OS X are you using?

QUOTE Thanks
ubeauty

There is no arrow.

If the home folder has a little picture of a house I have the home folder.

The VAR folder contains a sub-folder called LOG and a hidden file called .DS_Store. The LOG folder is empty.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

There is a /var/log folder that contains system logs but, as you can tell from the path, that's nowhere near your home folder (your home folder would be /Users/<username>).

My advice from all of this - stop unhiding folders that were meant to be hidden (they're hidden for a reason). If you really need to see a folder, push Shift-Command-G and enter the directory manually.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Guess better question would have been...

Are you sure you are looking inside the home folder?

right click on the file and select Get Info

What does it say for Kind, Size and Where?

still need the version of OS X you are using.

QUOTE Thanks
ubeauty

I am sure I'm looking inside the home folder.

Kind: folder
size: 6,148 bytes (8 KB on disk) for 2 items
Where: /users/username

OS X 10.8.4
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

???

Don't have a clue if some other application you've installed would place that folder there.

Perhaps try Repair Permissions.

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Sounds like a program that was installed used something like a default of $HOME to create a variable sized directory (ie var directory) in there for logging. About all you can do without buying maintenance software is to look in your syslog's and search for /Users/username/var to see if you get lucky and see an entry that calls things out well enough. From there you can hopefully find out what uses it and whether you need it.

As far as "seeing" it, I'd imagine it will go away of you chmod it to something less obvious like 740 or whatnot - depending upon what it's current ownership and permissions are. Then again that could "break" whatever is logging there. Of course, again, there doesn't seem to be anything logging there, so your guess is as good as anyone else's right now...

Good times.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
ubeauty

Thanks for your help guys. I guess I'll just leave it there for now.
QUOTE Thanks
ubeauty

What if I drag the offending folder to the desktop to see what happens? Am I likely to destabilise the whole machine or something equally disastrous?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Don't believe it will do anything since it is in your home account (directory I meant) and not in any of the system folders.

However, I would create a new user account with admin privileges first.
Then move the folder to the trash (or desktop).
Then reboot - if it lets you back into your user account and everything is working - no harm no foul.
If it doesn't, boot into the new account you created and move the folder back to where it came from.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubeauty View Post
What if I drag the offending folder to the desktop to see what happens? Am I likely to destabilise the whole machine or something equally disastrous?
Not likely. I'm guessing that an app created ~/var/log when it meant to put things in /var/log and did this accidentally.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« copy to DVD | transfer of app store software »