New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Quickbooks for Windows on my Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HeidiRaye

HeidiRaye is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm a new user here and hope I can get some advice.

We just purchased new computers for our business and I am trying to get them set up myself and although I am fairly computer literate, enough to do this with instruction, I need help. Our company uses iPhones, iPads, iCal, etc every day, it's a necessity. We also use quickbooks everyday on a PC. What we really need is to be able to use all of the Mac based items as well as have 2 people access and work on Quickbooks at the same time. As of now this is what I have to work with:

2 new iMac computers
1 new mac mini
Quickbooks 2013 for Windows

My questions:

1. What version of Windows do I need to get and install on the mini?
3. Boot Camp? Parallels? VMFusion? which one do I need?
2. How do I go about getting this all set up?

From what I understand so far is we need to set up the mini as a PC, install a version of windows on it, then install QB on it. From there we set up the other 2 computers to run Mac OS but access the mini through a network to be able to access the QB file at the same time with both computers. Step by step instructions would be really appreciated in doing this as I do not want to compromise any of our company files or mess something up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, do I need to install QB 2013 to upgrade my 2009 version on our current PC before transferring files?

Thanks. Heidi
QUOTE Thanks
HeidiRaye

HeidiRaye is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong board
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If you can get hold of a windows disk, then Windows 7 or XP will do fine to run Quickbooks

You can run windows in a virtual machine, using either the free VirtualBox from Oracle or VMWare Fusion or Parallels, all of which will run Windows and Quickbooks just fine without the need to exit OSX.

You can usually find good deals on the web eg
Download Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac for only $39.99 – educator and student software discounts | OnTheHub

Are you wanting 2 people to access the quickbooks database at the same time or have 2 people use the program at the same time.

Its easy to share screens on a mac and with parallels and Fusion a windows program can appear as just another app on the Mac screen, without needing to run it within the windows desktop, so one Mac can run Quickbooks and share its screen with anybody else who wants access, as long as 2 people are not fighting to control the cursor simultaneously

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Videos | Improving iMac performance »