New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Improving iMac performance

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sdwilson83

sdwilson83 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I've been using mac's for a few years now, but have noticed that my iMac is getting really sluggish and taking quite a long time to do tasks it previously did very quickly.

I've heard there are ways of improving performance again, i just don't know what they are!

I'm using a 2008 intel iMac, i'm running the latest OS on it and am up to date with all updates through the app store. If you can point me in the direction of where to get info on performance improvement or can make suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Can you give us a bit more information about the problem. For starters:
1. How much memory is installed?
2. How much free hard drive space is there on the hard drive?
3. What types of tasks are starting to slow things down?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
sdwilson83

No worries,

It's an Intel dual core 2.66GHz processor with 2GB 800MHz SDRAM, I have 88.33GB free HDD space out of 320GB. Although looking at the storage information 42.91GB falls into the 'Other' category - The rest of it all means something to me, but the other category doesn't.

To be honest, everything from loading icons when finder opens right to working in programs is getting really quite slow. I mainly use the machine for photo editing in Lightroom, and then just the usual word processing etc. I don't use it for gaming or anything like that.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

My gut instinct says that more memory would be useful If I have looked up the correct model Apple lists 4 GB as the max for that machine but OWC suggests the max is currently 6 GB. . Check the model identifier to see if that is the correct model. The page explains how to check.

Before purchasing extra memory you might want to take a look at your machine's memory use in relation to the tasks you perform. Reboot the Mac and open Activity Monitor. As you go about your activities keep an eye on the Page In/Outs and particularly on Swap Used. This is the amount of data which was in memory but has had to be written to the drive. The higher the number the more likely it is you'll benefit from more memory. Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used

QUOTE Thanks
sdwilson83

Fantastic, thanks for your help. I'll give that a look and let you know how I get on.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Once we have that information we may be able to give better advice. I'm running the current OS on a late 2008 MacBook Pro. The current OS ran reasonably well with 4 GB of ram though I am currently running with 8 GB. Things slow down a bit if I am photo editing but perform fairly well otherwise.

QUOTE Thanks
sdwilson83

Well, if I've done it all correctly the Swap used after a few hours (including some time left unattended) has gone to 2.11GB.

You did indeed identify the correct model, thank you. This may be a stupid question but, I read that you should only put the same quantity of RAM into each RAM slot. Or doesn't it really matter?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

No a stupid question at all. I've generally used matched sets but in your case you would end up with 1 2GB chip and 1 4GB (assuming you want to max things out). I think that is more important for other aspects of the chips than the capacity.If all other specs for the chips match except that one is 2 GB and the other 4 GB I think any performance loss would be offset by the performance boost due to extra memory.

There are other members more knowledgeable in this area than I am perhaps thy can chime in with definitive answers.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@sdwilson83:

Moderator Slydude is correct. It shouldn't matter if one module is 2 GB and the other is 4 GB. While technically they're not a matched pair, the difference it will make is so slight that you won't notice it. Besides as he stated, it will be more than offset by the extra available memory it provides. Go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Just for my own personal edification are the following assumptions true when it comes to the performance of matched Pairs of chips:

1. This is a larger issue for older macs and older memory chips than current ones?
2. This might be a larger issue if it involved different "banks" of chips with different specs (other than capacity)?
3. Assuming a large enough increase in memory the performance boost will offset any loss due to not having matched pairs?

QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

Simple, add 2GB more RAM and go back to Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Maybe not. The OP may be using some applications / features that do not run on Snow Leopard. Apple - Support - iCloud - Get Started

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

2GB Ram is too lean for 10.7 and 10.8. 4GB at least if you plan on doing more than one thing at a time. If you can get it up to 6GB the extra ram will help with many things running.

Also you should run ONYX and clean things up a bit. Let us know what you end up doing.

I speak from experience with 2GB and even Lion. Just not enough RAM. 2GB though was ok for Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Maybe not. The OP may be using some applications / features that do not run on Snow Leopard. Apple - Support - iCloud - Get Started
Off the top of my head i can only think of icloud features that would be missing, cant think of any apps that wouldnt run, but plenty extra that will with rosetta
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I posted that merely as an example of one feature the OP might find limited going back to SL. There are other apps which, although they are available for SL, have been updated to take advantage of features in Lion and Mountain Lion. Going backward means loosing those features.

I assume that use of Rosetta is not much of an issue for the OP otherwise the upgrade would either never have been done or been removed long ago.

I'm not suggesting whether the OP should or should not go back to Snow Leopard. There are many things I like about SL and I still use it. I'm merely pointing out that there are drawbacks to going backward. It's also true that Mountain Lion can run quite well on the same class of process in the OPs Mac.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Formatting email-double spacing? | Download Straight To Desktop »