Copying a PC based application CD
    Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance on an issue. I've searched other forums and cannot seem to find one with this issue. I have a PC based application CD that I need to copy, but I'm not sure if I can do this on a MAC. The application is not dual platform, and will only work with a PC. Is this something I can do (if possible, without having to buy a new application), and if so how? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Erica

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    We'll have to ask why you are copying it first, is it for a backup?
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system

Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    We'll have to ask why you are copying it first, is it for a backup?
    Yes it is, but does that make a difference in whether it can be copied or not?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtpyinnj View Post
    Yes it is, but does that make a difference in whether it can be copied or not?
    No, but if the CD is copy protected it does make a difference. Be sure to read our Guidelines which you can find in my signature line. Unprotected CDs and DVDs can be copied by your Mac as it doesn't matter if it's a Windows disk or Mac disk.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    No, but if the CD is copy protected it does make a difference. Be sure to read our Guidelines which you can find in my signature line. Unprotected CDs and DVDs can be copied by your Mac as it doesn't matter if it's a Windows disk or Mac disk.
    Thanks Chscag,

It is an application that was purchased by me that is no longer being produced. I am making a duplicate to have as a backup in the event the original is lost or damaged.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    If it does not work it will be because the software developer placed 'blockers' in the program to prevent copying as chscag has intimated. Microsoft in partiucular did this with Office etc
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    If it does not work it will be because the software developer placed 'blockers' in the program to prevent copying as chscag has intimated. Microsoft in partiucular did this with Office etc
    Hi Harry,

I don't know if it works because I haven't tried to duplicate it. That's why I'm here. It is not an operating systems disc, just a disc that is not run on the OS platform. My purpose for posting this is to find out if I can duplicate a disc that runs on the Windows platform using an OS machine, and HOW do I go about doing so. I've only started using MAC's a year ago and had a PC as well. As of a few weeks ago, my PC has stopped working, and I am unable to duplicate the disc using the PC. My concern is will the files that are native to PC's copy, and will they remain executable if copied via OS?

Thanks

P.S. I'm not attempting to do anything illegal. Even your signature suggests creating backup's. That's all I am trying to do.

Sometimes I when I reread my comments/posts they sound a little rude or condescending. Please know that I am in no way trying to come off that way. I tend to be a little wordy at times, and I'm trying not to be right now. I guess in my quest to save everyone's reading time and get to the point, to myself, I sound just a little snippy. Not my intent at all.

Thanks again for your help in this matter.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Try it and see. programs such as Toast Titanium give the option of burning for Mac and/or PC's. Was not suggesting anything underhand.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Try it and see. programs such as Toast Titanium give the option of burning for Mac and/or PC's. Was not suggesting anything underhand.
    I've come across other suggestions for Toast as well. I was hoping I could duplicate without having to purchase a new application, or at least one not so expensive as Toast. I will keep that in mind in the event there is no other way. Thank you for the suggestion!

Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Toast is the only one that I know of that can burn specifically for Windows. You can try Burn (I think that's the name of it), it's cheaper than Toast, but no idea if it will do specifically for Windows.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10

Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP win 10
    If you can make a disk image of it Burn should be able to burn it.
    Always listen to experts. They’ll tell you what can’t be done and why. Then do it!
    -Lazarus Long

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    If it copies to your Mac as a .iso then have a look at this as it explains how to burn a iso to a disc using Disk Utility

How to burn ISO disc images ~ Mac OS X Hints
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    I think what harryb2448 what trying to say about anti-copying schemes is that on some discs there is a unique track that is part of piracy security. When a copy is made, that track isn't seen because only the security system sees it, so the copy won't run. It's an accurate copy, just missing the security track. You probably won't know if that has been used until you make the copy and see if it works.

Thread Information