New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

X11 terminal window

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blues2use

blues2use is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5, ML 10.8.2, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD

I installed X11 Quartz to be able to run Inkscape and that works fine. However, a terminal window for X11 opens every time I boot to the desktop and stays open until I close it.

Is there someway to automatically dismiss this window after the system and X11 have finished booting?

Thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

XQuartz automatically opens the prompt (tis the nature of the beast). The only way around this that I know of is to not open XQuartz at boot.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
blues2use

blues2use is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5, ML 10.8.2, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
XQuartz automatically opens the prompt (tis the nature of the beast). The only way around this that I know of is to not open XQuartz at boot.
I thought that would be the case. I can live with that in order to use Inkscape. Hopefully, Inkscape will eventually not require the use of X11...

Thanks for the reply...I appreciate it...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

I obviously don't know the level of work you do, but have you looked at iVinci ($40) or iDraw ($25) or Sketch ($50) as possible alternatives?

Inkscape's developers have had more than a decade to get this off X11 and don't seem interested in doing so ... even GIMP eventually saw the light ...
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

If you really need to run Inkscape under X11 get Onyx. Look on the Parameters pane and change the XQuartz startup:

Xprop will start but will not show anything like xterm will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OnyX.jpg (385.4 KB, 15 views)

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Itunes Store Wishlist Problem | Setting up multiple e-mail accounts »