Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 16, 2013
    Posts
    33
    How do I refresh an web page to real time?
    I have the latest version mac mini 2012, going on two weeks. I am impressed with what I am able to do so far on this computer. However, there are two items I am unable to figure out.. so her I am looking for help. Problem #1, I cant figure how to refresh a web page to real time. When I leave MSN, as an example then return the following morning it is giving me date, time and data of the previous day. I have to toggle another link within the web page then go back to get to real time. Actually, I have to do this with all web pages that run in real time. Problem # 2. I am running ATT Yahoo mail. I am experiencing the same issues as problem #1 but also I am not able to delete any given email. It shows as being deleted but when I exit then revisit my email at a later time it shows the item I deleted. No matter what I do I cant get mail to delete an item. I am an old man that struggled with windows until I got it right, so I expect to go through a learning curve with Apple as well.

    Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated

  2. #2

    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 07, 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    5,845
    Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    I suspect that you are not shutting down the browser. The red X does NOT shut down applications, it just pushes it into the background. So when you "leave MSN" if you don't shut down Safari (if that is the browser you are talking about), then it goes into the background with that page open. Next day, you bring it back and it comes back just as you pushed it away. That's how it should work. So, in OSX, make sure you actually close applications by clicking on the name in the top bar and selecting "Quit ...." or use CMD-q to quit. Then when it reopens, it refreshes as it reloads the URL. I can't speak to ATT Yahoo mail, but it sounds like you are deleting a local copy and then the server resends it to you. You'll have to find out how to delete the server copy if that's what you want to happen.

    And welcome to the Mac side. The learning curve isn't hard, but you do have to "forget" what you think you know from Windows. OSX isn't Windows.

  3. #3

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,466
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    I am in the same habit - leave my browser windows open when I just let the machine go to sleep.
    The next morning, in Safari - just click on the circular arrow at the right side of the url/address field to refresh the page.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jul 16, 2013
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I suspect that you are not shutting down the browser. The red X does NOT shut down applications, it just pushes it into the background. So when you "leave MSN" if you don't shut down Safari (if that is the browser you are talking about), then it goes into the background with that page open. Next day, you bring it back and it comes back just as you pushed it away. That's how it should work. So, in OSX, make sure you actually close applications by clicking on the name in the top bar and selecting "Quit ...." or use CMD-q to quit. Then when it reopens, it refreshes as it reloads the URL. I can't speak to ATT Yahoo mail, but it sounds like you are deleting a local copy and then the server resends it to you. You'll have to find out how to delete the server copy if that's what you want to happen.

    And welcome to the Mac side. The learning curve isn't hard, but you do have to "forget" what you think you know from Windows. OSX isn't Windows.

    Thank you for this information.. I tried your suggestions and none of the information helped, the pages are not refreshing. So i'm not sure where to go from here.. I did like the CMD-q to quit! Nice shortcut...

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jul 16, 2013
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I am in the same habit - leave my browser windows open when I just let the machine go to sleep.
    The next morning, in Safari - just click on the circular arrow at the right side of the url/address field to refresh the page.
    Thanks for your suggestion. However, when I try the circular arrow, nothing changes. Maybe the issue is my mac mini?

  6. #6

    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 07, 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    5,845
    Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    Well, the circular arrow just updates the same page, so if the site that you are looking at doesn't update, but publishes new pages (news pages do that all the time), then the circular arrow will just update that same page. Can you post the link to the page that isn't changing? We can see if it updates for one of us.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jul 16, 2013
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Well, the circular arrow just updates the same page, so if the site that you are looking at doesn't update, but publishes new pages (news pages do that all the time), then the circular arrow will just update that same page. Can you post the link to the page that isn't changing? We can see if it updates for one of us.
    Thanks. MarketWatch - Stock Market Quotes, Business News, Financial News see if it will refresh for you.

  8. #8

    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 07, 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    5,845
    Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    Yep, using Safari, it updates every minute or so to track the market.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Jul 16, 2013
    Posts
    33
    Please try it again, shut it down then open the link later and see if it is in real time. I should have asked you to save it to your desktop and then come back later to see if it is in real time..Thanks.

  10. #10

    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 07, 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    5,845
    Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    Yep. It updated for a minute. I shut it down, waited a good bit of time and then opened it again to a fresh update.

    I am curious about your "save it to your desktop" comment. Why would you do that? All that saves is an image, not the URL, or any update. Is that what you are doing? When you minimize an app (Red X) it moves to the dock, not the desktop.

    EDIT: I should have said "Yellow button" not "Red X." The red button drops the link and goes back to the home page when reopened, the yellow minimizes to the dock. But even with that, when I bring it back from the dock, it's updated.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Jul 16, 2013
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Yep. It updated for a minute. I shut it down, waited a good bit of time and then opened it again to a fresh update.

    I am curious about your "save it to your desktop" comment. Why would you do that? All that saves is an image, not the URL, or any update. Is that what you are doing? When you minimize an app (Red X) it moves to the dock, not the desktop.

    EDIT: I should have said "Yellow button" not "Red X." The red button drops the link and goes back to the home page when reopened, the yellow minimizes to the dock. But even with that, when I bring it back from the dock, it's updated.
    Brillant, minimize UR'S to the dock! "Save it to the desktop" are for Windows users.. learn something new every day.

    The "dock" even works for my emails that also wouldn't refresh..

    You have been a great help, sir, thank you..

  12. #12

    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 07, 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    5,845
    Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    Glad to have helped. What I think was going on was that by "saving to the desktop" you were saving the image AT THAT TIME, then when you opened it in the morning, Safari opened the saved file with the old data. Clicking on a link in the image forced you to the Internet and the real website, which then updated. To you, it looked like it just updated, when in fact it went from showing a static file picture to showing the actual website.

    The hardest thing for me, when I transitioned from Windows at the age of 63 after using TRS-DOS, CP/M, MS-DOS, and Windows for 25 years was to forget how Windows worked and just go with what OSX does.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Dr. Web and script.virus: the real deal?
    By mrivmriv in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-05-2014, 04:41 PM
  2. static web page on Web browser
    By milankamilya in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 05:50 AM
  3. GeekTool Refresh time
    By AustinL in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 07:10 PM
  4. Please help me debug page (just load a web page in windows IE)
    By giulio in forum Web Design and Hosting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 03:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •