New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Powerpoints different in Mac and PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NView

NView is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me why a powerpoint created in Mac with ghosted images is seen on a PC with images in the front as opposed to back and not ghosted?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Because Microsoft is stupid?

Just to be certain, can you tell us what versions of PowerPoint you're using on the PC and the Mac? That should help us narrow down what the problem might be.
QUOTE Thanks
NView

Well the first answer made me laugh and I'd have to agree, but secondly, using 2008 on the Mac and 2010 on the PC I think. (PC not sure but pretty sure)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NView View Post
Can anyone tell me why a powerpoint created in Mac with ghosted images is seen on a PC with images in the front as opposed to back and not ghosted?
How about defining what you mean by "ghosted images". I routinely receive Powerpoint files from users of Office 2010, 2007, and 2003 and haven't seen any differences with embedded images when I open them with Office 2011 for the Mac. Generally, Office files are interchangeable between the Mac and PC. At least I haven't run into anything unusual.
QUOTE Thanks
NView

We created the PPT on Mac, when we placed a Tiff image onto powerpoint page and adjust the transparency so that it will not interfere with the foreground and use the arrange function to make sure that the image is sent to the back, the transparency function seems to fail when the powerpoint is opened on a PC. the image that has been adjusted and sent to back is as if it is a front image and the transparency has not been adjusted. No idea why this is happening.
QUOTE Thanks
NView

PS---never had a problem before with cross-platform powerpoints, but then never tried this with images before either...actually try to stay away from microsoft as much as possible.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OK, I see what you're referring to now. I'll have to do some experimenting to see if I can reproduce the problem. (I currently own both Office 2011 Mac and Office 2010 Windows.)

As I stated above, generally interchanging Office files between the Mac and Windows is fairly transparent. I'm sure there are probably some things that do not go cross platform, but believe me there isn't another Office suite that does as well, and that includes the iWork apps from Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Nview: does this happen if you use a different graphic format for the transparency? Are you running a compatibility check?
QUOTE Thanks
NView

we are using a tiff created from a jpeg, bringing in the image and then using the transparency feature of word---did not run a compatibility check, all the other images are as they should be and only the ones that we moved from "front to back" imaging and faded out through transparency function are consistently doing this
QUOTE Thanks
NView

I am wondering if we are missing a step in powerpoint that we should have done. We are used to doing this in indesign or other programs in terms of ghosting etc and we thought it straight-forward. Our saved version the image is exactly as we want it to be, just not that way when seen on the PC.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

In general, if I'm putting layered (transparent) images in a ppt.. I create the image then add the completed one. Too often I've had someone open a ppt with some other application, and it looks like cr...ud..

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
NView

I get that, but if you want an image to be a background image and not the front image like a ghosted image is that possible with ppt?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

You mean like a background with a semi-transparent company logo or something akin to that? If so, just create that image in some other graphic program and add it to the template you're using. That way it is guaranteed to always be in the background of your slide.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Some Macbook Air gaming questions | printing »